Mayfly ID...Quill Gordon?

dudemanspecial

dudemanspecial

I am trying to get better at mayfly ID. Is this a quill gordon? There are 2 tails. Most of them appear to be size 12 with a couple 14. There were a bunch of them on a vehicle at work. I am in the city of Pittsburgh so they had to come out of the Monongahela river. This was today.
IMG 20230531 082353367

I'm not an entomologist but a size 12 or 14 is a bit on the short side for a Hexagenia bilineata. They are over 1.25" in length plus they are not native to the Burg...

A Quill Gordon is below. It looks like your bug right down to the BIG eyes and the size corresponds even if it is a bit late in the year for emergence:

Attachments

• picture_1797_large.jpg
    picture_1797_large.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 30
Slate drake, big but not as big as a hex. Should come off really strong now through a little after Fathers Day.

Iso%2Bdun.jpg

Nice. I grew up on the Allegheny River, and my wife was a 4th generation Pittsburgh’er.

I believe that mayfly is what you’d call an Iron City Done. 😃

It looks like your bug right down to the BIG eyes
All male mayflies have big eyes.

The veins in the wings are completely wrong to be a QG, as is the time of year.

I think the OP may have mis-estimated the size, and that afishinado is correct.

All male mayflies have big eyes.

The veins in the wings are completely wrong to be a QG, as is the time of year.

I think the OP may have mis-estimated the size, and that afishinado is correct.
I thought the timing was definitely off for a QG as well. I may have been off a little on the size, maybe the biggest ones were 10's, but there were definitely quite a few smaller bugs. I should have put a pencil or something there for reference. They were all much lighter / olive in color than pics I have seen of the Hex but I know that can be regionally dependant. Thanks for your input.

Slate drake, big but not as big as a hex. Should come off really strong now through a little after Fathers Day.

Iso%2Bdun.jpg
Could be. These were definitely not as dark. In fact the picture I took made them seem darker than they actually are.

Way too late and warm for Quill Gordons. Plus they need more pristine water to be present (the Monongahela doesn't qualify!).

Here's a thread from our pal Sal with lots of pics (and even a poem!) about the warmwater hex hatch >

Timing is waaay off for QG. This is the time of year you see the various drakes, larger golden stones and hex.

Sorry for the late reply, but I finally got a reply from an entomologist who said:

“I believe this male imago to be Hexagenia bilineata”.

Back