Maxcatch Euro nymphing Rod

P

paflyfisherman

Anyone have one and could share their thoughts? Also, how do they compare to the name brands. I currently have a Cortland Competition rod in 10' 6". Think I would be better served with a 3 wt.

Maxcatch are acceptable rods that fish a niche. Mostly a beginners rod. What weight is your cortland? I don't own one but fished one a few times. The Cortland is a "better" rod in my opinion but you need to find one YOU like. Lots of variables, rod overall weight, line weight, length, stiffness/softness, balance with reel, price range etc. If your into cosmetics, that could be a factor too. Personally a fly rod is a tool. How it looks is secondary to me. No different than a hammer.

Find one that fits your style/budget and liking. Don't be afraid to ask friend or even some flyshops if you can give a rod a test drive. Only then will you know if you like it.

Current rod is a Cortland 4 wt. due to past shoulder surgery, I'm thinking a 3 wt will be easier on my shoulder than a 4wt.

Not a Dr so take this for what it's worth. I have experienced some shoulder (rotator cuff)issues in the past. So I know the pain is real.

The difference in overall weight of the rod is minimal, fractions of an ounce. Methinks rod balance and fishing technique will reduce the strain on your shoulder more than an oz or less of overall weight.

Dom Swentosky of Troutbitten has a good video on technique. Don't Reach

Check the balance of your rod when matched up with your reel. A tip heavy rod (most typically longer rods) will cause more strain than shorter ones, especially those not balanced with the reel.

I'll preface my comment with the acknowledgement that I'm brand new to Euro style nymphing and really know very little about what the rods should feel like. I purchased a Maxcatch Nano 10' 2 weight a couple of months ago and have used it exactly twice (it's gotten too warm around me to even think about trout fishing on most of the streams) and I like it. The first time I fished with it, I landed 5 or 6 trout and missed/lost as many more and was shocked that I actually felt almost all of the fish hit (and only saw my sighter jump on a portion of those). The second time I fished it, I only hooked one trout, but it was an absolute horse and I lost it because of a bad knot, not because the rod couldn't handle it. Given that I've never used a Cortland or a Diamondback or an Echo or any other Euro style rod, I can't really give you a fair comparison, but for the $150 or so that I spent, I'm very happy with mine and can't wait to fish it again this fall. I also purchased their superlight large arbor fly reel for $95 and absolutely love it, very smooth drag on a less expensive reel.

Rod choice has so many variables, so find what you like. I have found the latest Euro nymphs rods are really good at Euronymphing, but at the expense of being less all around rods. Also balance is important as stated. Many older heavier (therefore cheaper) reels are actually better balancing long light rods IMHO. Also, the world comes around. In bamboo and glass days rods were heavier and we were taught to keep our elbows close in to minimize fatigue. When graphite rods got to about 2 oz then one could reach and whip around a light rod any way you felt. Now that rods are getting longer we are coming back to closer in styles of fishing a flyrod.

I will go through my path. I used to read European fly magazines and started looking for longer rod about 30 years ago. My first 10' rod was built on a crappie rod blank, the lightest 10' blank I could find. I got lots of nasty comments for that. Then I found a 10' 5 wt Lamiglas blank. Roughly 15 years ago I got a 10' 3 wt Greys first generation Streamflex. What a revelation at the time. Much lighter than the rods I was using. It was a softer rod and threw dries well on smaller rivers (plus didn't go to mono rigs yet). Also, softer long rod decent at wet fly fishing. Love that rod and caught lots of fish on it. Last year I got a 10' 6" 3 wt Moonshine Epiphany and my buddy got a 10' 6" 3 wt Cortland rod. Combined with a mono rig they really upped our nymphing game. However, they aren't versatile and I have gone to carrying a nymph rod and a dry fly rod. A little awkward, but the specific nymphing rod is more sensitive (when I fish my older rods they feel like clubs) and a dry fly rod does better work when they start rising. I use a 7' 4 wt on smaller streams and a 9 1/2' 5 wt Z-Axis for larger streams, especially the Delaware branches.

I agree that balance is more important than if it’s a 3or4wt. I had an 11’ 3 weight that I just couldn’t get to balance and it wore me out.

X2 on balance. Got a great deal on line on a 3/4 10' rod a few years back. Real game changer once I got it balanced. Even though it was light (about 3 oz.) had to put an old Medalist on it and the balance point was still just in front of the handle. Wrapped some heavy lead solder at the butt and taped over it; problem solved.

That is an excellent video by Dom Swentosky.

Anyone have one and could share their thoughts? Also, how do they compare to the name brands. I currently have a Cortland Competition rod in 10' 6". Think I would be better served with a 3 wt.
I have a Maxcatch 10 foot three weight and catch tons of fish on it. If you’re Euro nymphing you’re really not casting that far anyways. The only drawback I see is the guides who get a heck of a break on the big name $1000 rods dirty looks when they see what you’re fishing but I don’t use guides that often and I can live with that.
But I agree with an earlier poster that said he didn’t think there would be much difference between a three and 4 weight. I’ve used that Cortland rod & that is a very nice tool.

Back