Maxcatch ECO Reels?

6xAdams(Jones)

6xAdams(Jones)

Spotted this brand on the New Member forum and didn't want to hijack a thread again.
On the website, Matchcatch has the ECO line listed at $18/each with 16/16 five-star user ratings? Does anyone know if these ECO reels are really that good a value? 99%+ of my use for a fly reel is holding line and I always default to function over appearance. The other <1% would be applying drag during a very infrequent 10-20 foot run, against a fully bent rod.
It would only cost me <$20 to find out for myself, but I like to hear stories.
I also realize they aren't American-made, but one could fill a bucket with these reels from China for a relatively low cost.
Thanks.

I got a 7 foot 3 weight max catch glass rod and i’m very satisfied. It cost &75

Does ECO stand for Economy?

Does ECO stand for Economy?
That would be my first guess. It's possible there is a creek near Qingdao that starts with E, as in E______ Creek Outfitters. With the cost this low, I'd go with economy.

I have the Eco on a 5wt and the Tino on a 3wt. I’ve only been fly fishing for 4 months but I’ve used them very heavily in that time with no issues. I can’t compare them to higher quality reels because they are all I know but I’ve been very satisfied with them. I don’t know how many times I’ve heard the reel is just a line holder so they are great for a beginner. I do not play fish on the reel at this point so I can’t speak for that. I got them on Amazon pre spooled. The line they come with probably isn’t great but it works. It does not come with a loop on the end. I did upgrade the line on my 3wt which was worth it.

Attachments

• B0442CBB-82A2-4AF4-8439-5A6F0E8F3E25.jpeg
    B0442CBB-82A2-4AF4-8439-5A6F0E8F3E25.jpeg
    360.5 KB · Views: 29
  • BF052E3B-5BBF-46BD-85E9-8E5C063BAE33.jpeg
    BF052E3B-5BBF-46BD-85E9-8E5C063BAE33.jpeg
    358.6 KB · Views: 27
I'm a fan of the Maxcatch Toro and Avid-Pro reels. Nice machined aluminum reel for a very reasonable price.

I had one awhile ago and it did its job (held line). It was, however, out of round. You can't expect much in the way of quality control in a $20 reel.

I don't do the cheap Asian reel (or anything or that matter) thing but I'll make a suggestion:

Reels and other goods manufactured in China by smaller American companies are contracted for and made in batches. That typically means you can't get service or spare parts and in a few years or less you can't get the same product.

The negative to that is if you really LIKE the thing, you can't get another so my suggestion is if you buy one and like it, don't wait too long to get another, even if it's just for parts.

Good luck!!

I have one for my 3wt. Nothing I hook on that setup warrants the abilities of my 5wt Galvan. It performs as advertised for the value.

If you are not concerned with it being made in China, it's more than enough reel for PA trout, maybe excluding fishing the big rivers. It's a cast aluminum reel costing $20-$30. For that price (like Bamboozle wrote above) you can buy two, and if you drop it (cast aluminum may break) or if it gives up the ghost in some other way, you have another reel or spare parts to fix it. Plus having a second reel gives you a second spool for changeover to alternate lines for you rod.

For a line holder you should be fine. As for myself I am too much of a gear nut who just loves the sound/feel of a good reel. I like the weighty feel of a higher end reel. I could run a Maxcatch reel and it would do 95% of what I require of my reel needs (line holder). I will say I have noticed a lot of cheaper reels have choppy inconsistent drags and have a tendency to let the reel free-spool in it's lowest setting, something that really annoys me, hence why their is duct tape crammed into the inside of my Bronson Royalist 370 (drag doesn't work).

Not to deter from the post, as it sounds like the OP is inquiring about the Maxcatch in order to decide to get one but it sounds like he is just looking for a cost-effective reel in general. In that case why not pursue a vintage US-made reel like an old Pflueger Medalist, Bronson Royalist 370 or a skeleton style reel, or a J.C. Higgins Mod 12? These reels are higher quality, not high quality by what the perception of a modern day mid to high end reel should be, but I think they are pretty sturdy. Some have their flaws, and most are in right hand retrieve, but I know people on vintage fly rod forums that have modified them to keep them running. I also like the colors older style reels come in. The color of a Royalist can depend on sun exposure (they were initially red like mine is but some can be a chestnut color due to prolonged sun exposure). I paid $40 for an Orvis Madison and my Bronson Royalist. The Royalist is a really pretty reel, has almost ivory looking accents on it that contrast well with the reel's red color and goes well with my Winston LT that has the mammoth tusk reel seat insert (yes, that was a real and OEM feature from Winston). I know it's not real ivory as the reel was made after the ivory ban. I inherited a Medalist 1494 that was in rough condition (traded it). I have an older 1960s Bronson skeleton style reel that I got in a gear trade (friend paid $100 for it, way too much, the shaft is bent) (that one is getting shipped to a friend shortly along with a Cabela's C.G.R that I could never get the right line for it when lawn casting it so I have exhausted my efforts).

The point I am trying to make and perhaps my angst towards the new wave of cheap import reels is that everyone and their mother has one. Why not get a classic US reel that was revered and maybe even innovative in its day? I feel a personal obligation to keep these reels going. There is also a forum following on these reels so people have spare parts and/or know where to get them and/or how to jerry rig your reel to get it functional or modify it for better ergonomics.

I actually ordered a mystery box of 5 reels for $50 off of marketplace last week because I really liked the condition of the J.C. Higgens Mod 12, a fabulous cherry red reel that would look great on my LT and also my unpainted Epic glass rod (rod is a near white color). There's two other reels I like in the lot including another Bronson skeleton that I may keep depending on condition. I'll look the reels over and if I find functional reels that I have no intention of keeping I may just give one to @6xAdams(Jones) if I deem it functional.

That's my Ted talk.

It wasn't a Maxcatch but...

I have a first generation screw-back CFO II made by Hardy that was my first ever fly reel. These CFO's were cast and partially machined before painting.

One day I was fishing with this reel from the top/middle of this dam (yea, I was a stupid surefooted kid then):

Untitled

For some reason, I took the reel off the rod and proceeded to drop it down the spillway and watched as it bounced its way down to the pool of water below.

Bottom line, it bent but didn't break and happily didn't get too banged up either. I straightened it out as much as I dared and continued fishing it for decades before retiring it about 10 years ago for sentimental reasons.

So for that reason I'd say if you take care of a cast Maxcatch reel, it won't break either. ;)

Anyone recognize the dam?? :)

So for that reason I'd say if you take care of a cast Maxcatch reel, it won't break either. ;)
Yes, proper care is of the upmost importance, however there are different levels of durability in reels based on the quality of metals, the way those materials are used, and the overall design of the reel in question.

I would think, say, my Bronson Royalist, has a higher level of durability than one of those Maxcatch reels, but I am unwilling to destroy my reel to prove that so it is up to speculation. I suspect the inherent composition of the metal in the Bronson is better than the Maxcatch but I'm no metallurgist.

I just think it would be cooler to run a classic US reel and I'm sure you would agree Bam. I have a CFO (the green trout unlimited model) (another bit of jewelry for the Epic glass) and was of the opinion they were machined reels. I will say the CFO feels and sounds great and has a great weight to it. I like it bit of rear weight bias when fishing glass or a rod with a full flex.

It wasn't a Maxcatch but...

I have a first generation screw-back CFO II made by Hardy that was my first ever fly reel. These CFO's were cast and partially machined before painting.

One day I was fishing with this reel from the top/middle of this dam (yea, I was a stupid surefooted kid then):

View attachment 1641230231
Anyone recognize the dam?? :)
I feel like I should but I can't seem to place it.

You're a wild man for fishing on that sir! You've got some big balls! I'd rather wade Penns as it sits right now then walk across that. I am uneasy with heights and have a slight balance issue ever since my first car wreck. I understand your impulse (as a kid) to drop that reel down the spillway. We all have done some impulsive things that may not have seemed the smartest thing to do in hindsight. I once ripped the bezel off an Omega because it was uneven and it angered me (EBAY buy).

I used to walk across high dams a lot as kid, probably because it was the fastest way to get to the other side. ;)

However I break out in a cold sweat thinking about it now because regardless of which way I fell I would have been killed because I can't swim...

...seriously!!

In regards to impulses, the one & only time in my life I went the spare spool route was with my CFO's. So there IS a chance I was swapping spools while standing on top of that dam that day and for some reason though it would be easier with the reel off the rod but regardless...

I didn't intentionally drop the reel off the dam... :(

In regards to location, if Mike sees my post he should recognize the dam location but for the time being I'll keep the contest open... ;)

Back