Maui Jim HT sunglasses

T

tctrout

Does anyone have any experience with the Maui Jim HT lenses? I have had all of the other major players, and have liked some of them over the years, though keep reading about these lenses for low-light conditions.

If you have had a pair of the HT lenses, I'd appreciate any thoughts, either through the forum or by PM; thanks!

TC

TC,

Sorry I do not have any experience with those lenses, but I just purchased a pair of Smith Chronmopop's and love them.

Thanks, Matt; I know about the Smith's, but am interested if the HT are a little better in the low light.

Tim

All my Maui Jim's have the rose lens which I love for 90% of the time. I went to Costa Sunrise lens for low light. Once I got use to the yellow tint I loved them. Now I put them on in the morning and sometimes forget to change as the day goes on.

I have both Grey and Rose Maui's. My grey pair has the bifocal in the lower portion for tying on flies instead of using flip focals on my hat.
I prefer the Rose color for almost all my fishing except for the brightest of days when I switch to the grey.

Thanks for the additional comments; I've heard the rose were decent lenses. I've tried the HT's on a couple places, and want to know if they are as great in low light as advertised.

TC

I wear my rose lenses until I walk out after dark. When my buddies are done I have 10 more minutes every time.

You can go to Walmart or any other optical house and pick out any shade or tint you want… been doing that for years-don't buy into the notion you need to get special fishing glasses.No such animal...

i've field tested Flying Fisherman vs Maui's & oakleys.

the difference is negligible.

abd you won't feel so bad when you leave them on a pub table, take an unexpected swim or stand on them.

i did manage to get some Hobie glasses on e-bay (two pairs, always buy two pairs) for $35 each and they are better than the FF's.

i sodded around with glasses on the striper flats for years - blues, greens, etc etc and come to the conclusion that on dull days amber is best and on bright days anything polarized will do - and that includes for the bonefishing i did too.

FWIW i think understanding your prey and looking for movement is more important than fancy frames or lenses polished to a 0.0001mm.

just my .02.

cheers

Mark.

Thanks for all of the comments...and if anyone else has worn the HT lenses by Maui Jim, let me know. Some have sent PM's, and I greatly appreciate any thoughts.

TC

I have a pair and its a love hate kind of thing. mine are dark mirrored lens' and i love them on bright days, but cant see anything under low light. But besides that, the frames are very very heavy. after a long day of fishing, my nose will actually be a bit sore where the glasses sat at. Their warranty service is alright, i put dings in my glasses on 2 different occasions (the exact same spot both times), and only had them repaired one time. they charged me $73 bucks for one lens to be replaced.
Now onto the cleaning issue. They have some kind of coating on the lens that is supposed to help reduce glare. IT BLOWS. anytime something gets on the lens, good luck getting it off. I had to go buy special lens cleaner stuff just to keep my lens clean. with just a microfibre cloth, you will smear everything around vs take it off.

My opinion is save your money and buy elsewhere. im currently getting ready to drop some money on a pair of costa double hauls with copper/amber lens.

Any sense that is light in color will be brighter in low light conditions. I checked out the HT's today, up $800 for something I can get that will fit any frame I want. Ht's have to be put into the Maui Jim's frames. That's the downside. For $300 I'll stick with prescription lenses that are store brand. But if you can afford them go for it.

Interested in this too.

FWIW, are expensive glasses better? In my experience, YES, although I question whether it's a difference between glass and plastic or between brands. I've never really done a long-term test on expensive plastic. In the store, at least, they don't impress me that much over the cheapies I walked in with. (comparison was Sea Strikers as the cheapies, vs. Oakley, Costa, and Maui Jim plastics). Perhaps coatings and such are better, I dunno. But glass lenses from Costa and Maui, and it was immediately apparent that it was better. You put em on and say "wow".

Is a $200 glass pair 10x better than a $20 plastic pair? Probably not, but that's up to the owner. The $20 pair is light years better than nothing. Spending $200 on the glass gains a bit of clarity and better polarization over that. That said, many might be willing to pay for slightly better, and I'm one of them. I basically live in sunglasses, and having absolutely crystal clear vision really increases my enjoyment of the outdoors (even if it only rarely catches me any more fish).

My good pair is Costa Fathoms with 580 glass, in the copper/green mirror combo. I love them, but they are pretty dark. For fishing, I take them off in the morning and evening. For driving, I take them off in morning, evening, rainy, tunnels, etc. And they aren't any good under a canopy, either, such as a brookie excursion. I use $20 cheapies for that but would like a lighter pair.

Anyway, I now have pushing $300 worth of Cabelas bucks to blow, and am not in need of waders, boots, any new rods, etc. I have a few other ideas on how to spend it, but honestly, I'd get more use and enjoyment out of a really good pair of new shades. I am between:

1. Costa fathoms with a sunrise lens - I already know the frames fit great. Downside is that this lens from Costa only comes in plastic. I'm so in love with the glass lenses and am nervous about spending a lot of money on plastic lenses, fearing they aren't any better than the $20 pair I already have. If I'm gonna spend that much, I want glass.

2. Smith low-light ignitors - also plastic. Would need to try on new frames to see what fits. The upside is that 40% light transmission blows away any of the other "low light" lenses here (all 25-30%, whereas "normal light" lenses are 8-15%). I wouldn't want these as my only pair as they are too bright for daytime use. But as it's a supplementary pair specifically for low light they might be really, really good.

3. Maui Jim HT - the only "low light" lens I've found that comes in glass. But while Maui sales them on 7 or 8 different frames, the ONLY one that Cabelas carries them in is the Wassup, which, according to Maui, is not recommended for fishing (not sure why as it's a nylon full frame), and I have no idea if they fit right. A trip to Cabelas may be in order to try em on.

pcray1231 wrote:
Interested in this too.

FWIW, are expensive glasses better? In my experience, YES, although I question whether it's a difference between glass and plastic or between brands. I've never really done a long-term test on expensive plastic. In the store, at least, they don't impress me that much over the cheapies I walked in with. (comparison was Sea Strikers as the cheapies, vs. Oakley, Costa, and Maui Jim plastics). Perhaps coatings and such are better, I dunno. But glass lenses from Costa and Maui, and it was immediately apparent that it was better. You put em on and say "wow".

Is a $200 glass pair 10x better than a $20 plastic pair? Probably not, but that's up to the owner. The $20 pair is light years better than nothing. Spending $200 on the glass gains a bit of clarity and better polarization over that. That said, many might be willing to pay for slightly better, and I'm one of them. I basically live in sunglasses, and having absolutely crystal clear vision really increases my enjoyment of the outdoors (even if it only rarely catches me any more fish).

My good pair is Costa Fathoms with 580 glass, in the copper/green mirror combo. I love them, but they are pretty dark. For fishing, I take them off in the morning and evening. For driving, I take them off in morning, evening, rainy, tunnels, etc. And they aren't any good under a canopy, either, such as a brookie excursion. I use $20 cheapies for that but would like a lighter pair.

Anyway, I now have pushing $300 worth of Cabelas bucks to blow, and am not in need of waders, boots, any new rods, etc. I have a few other ideas on how to spend it, but honestly, I'd get more use and enjoyment out of a really good pair of new shades. I am between:

1. Costa fathoms with a sunrise lens - I already know the frames fit great. Downside is that this lens from Costa only comes in plastic. I'm so in love with the glass lenses and am nervous about spending a lot of money on plastic lenses, fearing they aren't any better than the $20 pair I already have. If I'm gonna spend that much, I want glass.

2. Smith low-light ignitors - also plastic. Would need to try on new frames to see what fits. The upside is that 40% light transmission blows away any of the other "low light" lenses here (all 25-30%, whereas "normal light" lenses are 8-15%). I wouldn't want these as my only pair as they are too bright for daytime use. But as it's a supplementary pair specifically for low light they might be really, really good.

3. Maui Jim HT - the only "low light" lens I've found that comes in glass. But while Maui sales them on 7 or 8 different frames, the ONLY one that Cabelas carries them in is the Wassup, which, according to Maui, is not recommended for fishing (not sure why as it's a nylon full frame), and I have no idea if they fit right. A trip to Cabelas may be in order to try em on.
Pat and everyone else for that matter,
For what it's worth, since I wear glasses nearly 100% of the time, I've discovered the the lenses in the cheap glasses all distort the image, a very bad thing if you like to see well. As a for-instance, I can't tie a fly on with he clip-ons I bought at a retailers optic shop, they distort badly for close up and I can notice a difference in the distance too.
Bottom line is, if you don't want your vision wrecked by crappy cheap lenses then spend a little more for good lenses. I bit the bullet for prescription lenses the other day because of that.

Well, I wear contacts, so I don't have the extra expense of getting stuff like this in prescription. That more than doubles the price, sometimes closer to triple.

I do agree with you, though. I don't have a real problem with the cheapies. I mean, they work ok for spotting fish, and they protect the eyes just fine from UV. If I were still a grad student or on a really tight budget, no way I'd spend dough on truly nice lenses. They are better, but we're in the arena where spending 10x as much for a little better is a "luxury" rather than a necessity.

That said, I'm also at a point in my life where I value a luxury like this. I make good money, work too long of hours to do it, and even my home time, with young children, isn't really "my" time. I don't do or have much of anything meant for my own enjoyment these days. And that's all it is, having really good lenses is enjoyable, not necessary.

So yes, I have 1 pair of good lenses and am likely to buy a complimentary pair. Especially since Cabela's bucks are burning a hole in my pocket....

Tried on some frames today. The Peahi's fit perfect, and glass. Maui makes them in the HT color, but Cabelas does not sell them in that color. My plan was to use Cabelas bucks for this purchase. I'm likely not dropping $250 out of pocket.

The only frame that Cabelas carries with glass lenses in this color are the "Wassup" model. And they are too small for me. I'm a little dissapointed

I'm willing to pay premium prices for glass, but not plastic. This appears to be the only high transmission lens made in glass, at least that I can find.

FWIW, light transmission numbers.

Smith low light ignitors. 40%
Maui HT 29% in glass, 23-27% in their other lens materials.
CDM sunrise. 27%
Typical sunglasses (most everyones copper, rose, etc.) - 8-15%

Thanks for the heads-up; I've tried on some of the plastic pairs, but have yet to see the glass ones. Sorry to hear that your points won't work!

TC

Thanks,

I noticed Cabela's website may be incomplete.

A couple models (for example, Haleakala), show the HT option in the pictures and description, but not in the table below. So do they have it or not? lol. Others show lens options that Maui makes, but Cabelas doesn't stock, with an asterisk that says "ships directly from manufacturer", meaning you can buy it from Cabelas ordered through MJ.

Maybe I'll just call and ask if Cabela's can sell the Peahi's in the HT color. If they can order directly from the manufacturer, and Maui makes it, they might be able to do it even if it's not on their website.

Also considering the MauiPure material, which has clarity nearly matching glass. It would reduce light transmission a bit, and probably give up some scratch protection, but be ok in terms of chromatic aberration that I have a problem with, offer better shatter protection, and be a heck of a lot lighter in weight too. It would open up a few extra frame options to try on, though the number of frames in this material remains rather thin, and not many look suitable for fishermen. Twin Falls and Haleakala look like they might be ok.

Abbe value of Maui lenses:

ST Glass: 59
MauiPure: "above 50"
Maui Evolution: 45
Polycarbonate: 30

FWIW,

I ended up ordering MJ "Twin Falls" with the MauiPure material. Came in the mail yesterday.

They are light and comfortable and fit me fine. This frames are lighter and feel a lot more flimsy than other MJ lines, but we'll see how they hold up.

I like the optics, though I haven't got to put them through the paces much. No color halos in the periphery like I get with Oakleys and most other polycarb stuff. Using the computer screen test, the polarization is about the same as my costa green mirrors. i.e. goes black at the same angles and the same degree of "tightness".

As for low light situations for which they are designed, I put them on around 6:30 this morning and did fine. Certainly can use them in darker conditions than the Costa's. That said, for evening hatch situations, that just means there will an extra 10-15 minutes before the glasses come off. They will still need to be taken off with fishing time left. I think that's true of all glasses. I do think they'll be perfect for brookie fishing, as this is another situation (heavy canopy) where the costa's are too dark. The costa's will likely still be used for bright light conditions.

There is a bit of a wow-factor with MJ lenses. Regardless of brand, good polarization makes everything appear sharper. But the MJ's make colors pop a bit. I'm sure it has to do with carefully chosen attenuation bands.

I wanted to give an update on the Maui Jim sunglasses. I purchased the Wassup HT and couldn't be happier.

The HT lenses let in a great amount of light, and they are perfect for mornings and evenings when I would normally take my other sunglasses off. I thought I would still use my amber sunglasses throughout the day (when super bright), but I have only been using the HT's.

Being that I fish rivers and streams, there is enough shading that even in near direct sunlight, the HT lenses stop way more than enough.

As with the other Maui Jim sunglasses, the lenses are incredibly clear, and the frames are obvious quality. The Wassup (with HT lenses) only came in the rubberized frame, which was a little disappointing because it's nice to get other styles when possible.

I had previously read that glass lenses are noticeably heavier than others, and these are glass, yet the difference is very minimal. That did not factor into play at all.

I would recommend this pair for sure. I just checked the Maui Jim site and the Wassup frames are no longer listed (discontinued?). That may mean that they will go on sale through other sites.

If anyone has any questions about the MJ Wassup sunglasses (or HT lenses), let me know.

TC

Back