Maryland blue lining?

Oh yeah, any brownie tips? My biggest brownie to date was in balt co. Yeah this pic looks goofy I already know lol. Any “big brown” water in Fred, wash or carol co?
That's a hell of a brown for Balt! Nice job. In addition to the counties you mentioned, I've also caught wild browns in Harford and Cecil. However, so far, those two haven't given up fish as large as the counties from Balt on west. But it's not a huge difference...like 14-15" vs 17-18". I've only caught 20"+ browns in one stream in MD which I am not willing to name publicly, but they exist in several, I just haven't cracked the code on the others yet.

That's a hell of a brown for Balt! Nice job. In addition to the counties you mentioned, I've also caught wild browns in Harford and Cecil. However, so far, those two haven't given up fish as large as the counties from Balt on west. But it's not a huge difference...like 14-15" vs 17-18". I've only caught 20"+ browns in one stream in MD which I am not willing to name publicly, but they exist in several, I just haven't cracked the code on the others yet.
Damn that’s sick! I’ve seen I kid you not, FIVE GIANT 18-21 inchers from a balt stream. WAY TOO SMART for me hahaha. Balt has a ton, not so much around here… they’re all so much smaller, but I do appreciate the brookies. There’s a few “falls” ;) I have scouted around the mount airy area. If you know what I’m talking about, any advice would be fine, and chances are even with thousands of fish, I couldn’t catch any lol. Oh yeah, any flies for this area? Right now I have a 5 buck dry fly kit from Walmart, as you can imagine they don’t work that well…

Somebody wrote a really impressive book about bluelining in Maryland. ;) It's a digital book and since Sarce is too modest to bring it up, I will.

Sarce, since this gentleman is so enthusiastic about this subject, can you get him a copy, and I'll pay you for it. Send me a pm and I'll email you the funds.

Somebody wrote a really impressive book about bluelining in Maryland. ;) It's a digital book and since Sarce is too modest to bring it up, I will.

Sarce, since this gentleman is so enthusiastic about this subject, can you get him a copy, and I'll pay you for it. Send me a pm and I'll email you the funds.
Deal!

Wow, thank you guys so much! I promise to let all the fish go and treat them well. I’ve scoured the depths of the internet and found a multitude of spots, the reason why I don’t fish them is because most are private, I’ll be sure to check it out

Bluegill and fox, I'll get in touch tomorrow morning.

Sir, you really don’t have to. Part of the thrill of trout fishing is finding out the spots and rules yourself

Sir, you really don’t have to. Part of the thrill of trout fishing is finding out the spots and rules yourself
It's all good. I agree with that statement. Plenty of things not discussed in the book (for example, the size of the trout in the streams) and a couple of places that I discovered recently aren't included. It's also intentionally pretty vague about brook trout. I think it is better at fueling curiosity than handing out too much info (or at least, that was the intent)

Well, if you insist. Few questions though, who made this book and how did it come to be? No way they fished EVERY trout stream in MD…

Oh yeah, a question I have. How do you not get discouraged in a stream? Like you said before, the brook trout management plan has a lot of streams that don’t have trout anymore and even ones that do are full of chubs. Any flies to use to avoid the chubs/fall fish? I really don’t have much time to fish right now so I only spend my time in streams that have worked for me, and that’s why I’ve only caught trout in five wild trout streams in balt and Fred co. I’ve tried Hartford but kept getting skunked or they had too much chubs that it’s not worth going through. Any advice?

Well, if you insist. Few questions though, who made this book and how did it come to be? No way they fished EVERY trout stream in MD…
I made it, I'll provide some more info via PM. No, I didn't fish every trout stream in MD, but a lot of research went into the ones I hadn't fished. Probably some of the same data and reports you've been looking at.

Oh yeah, a question I have. How do you not get discouraged in a stream? Like you said before, the brook trout management plan has a lot of streams that don’t have trout anymore and even ones that do are full of chubs. Any flies to use to avoid the chubs/fall fish? I really don’t have much time to fish right now so I only spend my time in streams that have worked for me, and that’s why I’ve only caught trout in five wild trout streams in balt and Fred co. I’ve tried Hartford but kept getting skunked or they had too much chubs that it’s not worth going through. Any advice?
Generally I just keep pushing upstream if I am catching chubs. Or go back when flows are higher, the brown trout are likely to be in the heads of runs and will pounce on a streamer. When they are inactive in the bottom of a pool with a bunch of chubs around, you're not likely to have much success, especially when it's a stream that only has 2 or 3 browns per 100 yards. Decent flows are basically a requirement to have any shot at all on half the MD streams.

I made it, I'll provide some more info via PM. No, I didn't fish every trout stream in MD, but a lot of research went into the ones I hadn't fished. Probably some of the same data and reports you've been looking at.
Wow, that’s pretty cool. Any red flags to look out for for when you should just give up and move to a different stream? I’ve fished atleast 10 “documented” wild trout streams in Balt, Harf and Fred co, all were cold and had nice flows, some had a sediment problem and the Fred one had a ton of algae or weed. This was in the catoctins, south of fishing creek. Don’t think it was didymo. Oh yeah, what type of streamers/flies, I’m planning on getting some waltz worms, prince nymphs, wooly buggers and some kind of streamer? Would this work for MD trout?

There’s a lot more reports from DNR on streams, heard their making a 2021 brook trout management plan too. Some tips I would like to add are to Use google street view or satellite view to get a good look. In my experience, certain areas in google maps (Frederick county, Washington county) do not have high res satellite, for that I go to MERLIN Online (DNR map site) this is an excellent site and you can learn if the area is public, who owns it, etc. go to the bottom and click high resolution imagery 2016 I think. That really helped me find better and public water. Also use AllTrails, very helpful for hard to reach spots

That helps, thanks!

I can see that being an assumption. The only known water I know of in Maryland closest to the SEPA side of the state is the gunpowder river. Without investigating every single tributary that exists in a 5 mile radius of the river at any given point I dont know how one would even know where to start to know their exploring a natural waterway with trout in it or just run off.
Someone on here has taken wild trout from 100 different trout streams in Maryland, maybe they will chime in...

I’d also like to add that while a stream may have trout, they are not evenly distributed. In my experience, the trout live in the faster “rapids/waterfalls” while the chubs live in pools, of course, there are always exceptions, with big trout in pools.

Back