Martin 65 reel questions

J55tyger88

J55tyger88

I was given this reel to me from a spin fishin buddy who never used it. Im assuming its a Martin 65 from the back of the reel. Its got. Cortland 333 WF4F line on it that seems to be in decent shape.

It seems like this reel just free spools or doesnt have any kind of drag and i was curious how you use this type of reel. The spool is enclosed in the frame so im guessing palming the spool is out. Anyone have this reel or have experience with it?

Now i have a reason to get a 3-4 wt :-D

CAM00259_zps20687c4c.jpg

CAM00261_zpsdc19963a.jpg

on the back of the reel by the sticker is a little knob that goes up or down to engage the click drag. You probably just need to move it in the right position.

I have one that is loaded with 5wt and a ton of backing. I love this reel!

Heck yeah man! Love the "tuna cans". They last forever. You're right, no drag in the way that modern reels have drags. It's not an adjustable disc drag like your newer reels will have, but rather, as thebassman pointed out, it's a click pawl system. A simple clicker engages. The "drag" is either on, or off. I have a Martin 61 on a 4wt cane rod. They were heavier, so you may find they don't balance a modern 4wt very well (too heavy). Look for a 3 or 4wt glass rod and enjoy!

I have a martin 65 received as a gift in the early 80s. I've only used it a few times. They are called tuna cans because of there simplicity and low price.

IIRC, there also popular because of their light weight relative to other reels on the market.

I'm not sure what caused the discoloration on on the rim. I know it's not from use.

Attachments

• IMG_0664.JPG
    IMG_0664.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0663.JPG
    IMG_0663.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 16
Light weight is relative though. Light weight compared to a Medalist or an Ocean City.

Simple technicality, if it matters, but I wouldn't consider the 65 model shown to be a 'tuna can' reel with its pillared frame. The Martin tuna cans I've always seen refered to as such are pretty distinct in their style, pretty obvious where the nickname comes from when you see one.

DSCF0075.JPG

This is a tuna can (the reel, not the trout)

an even better pic from the Googles:
m627.jpg

I'm at work so it seemed every google pic was blocked haha!

Those pics do explain and show why they are called tuna cans.

When searching for info on Martin reels I learned from the fiberglass fly rodders forum that Orvis once used Martin reels on an inexpensive combo they sold in the late 70s.

Attachments

• 19154.jpg
    19154.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 19153.jpg
    19153.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 19152.jpg
    19152.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 23
Back