Marsh Creek Musky

B

Bogey

While I have lived less than 10 miles away from MC my whole life (43 yrs) and fished it as long as I can remember, I have only hooked into musky twice...landing 1 (on spin gear). Anyone here flyfish for musky on MC? If so, can you share your expertise, tactics and possibly a boat ride in exchange for good beer?

Gotta be persistent a little crazy and fish a lot...find weeds

My neighbor roped one or two in his time but he fishes gear deep and that's what he targets. I caught a juvenile on fly in the early spring on the bank 5 yrs ago. I think the key is early spring they are shallow for the spawn. Gotta put in the time though

I have had what sounds like similar results on Marsh. I've connected with a few small ones using bass gear over the years but never tied into anything on the fly. I have tried there a number of times, but it's not great wading, and I am boatless as well.
PM me if you want to compare any specifics.

Agree with the above. ^

Springtime is the time to target them as they're in shallow water and, yes, you need to be willing to cast a LOT and get skunked.

The best time to try to hook up with a Marsh Muskie on a fly rod is definitely the springtime, not long after ice out and in the shallows. When the temps in shallows hit the mid 40's to low 50's is usually best.

Emergent weeds and/or wood or other cover in the shallows are good places to target.

Later in the spring and summer, the water warms and Muskies tend to be deeper. Not ideal for fishing with a fly rod.

The whole thing works the same way in reverse in fall. When the temps lower, the muskies will patrol the shallows again.

With muskie fishing you must be willing to sling big flies, be persistent, and not be bothered when you get skunked. A good day is getting a follow or two.

If you stay with it, you should eventually hook up with one and maybe land it.

Every so often, you may get a bonus and catch a larger bass on your muskie rig.

Good luck to all.

Gotta be persistent a little crazy and fish a lot...find weeds

I think this about sums it up for sure.

Back