Marking the leader

Acristickid

Acristickid

Anybody out there mark the 30 feet mark on their fly line?

I was told about this when talking to a fly shop in Florida. The 30 feet mark- marks where the heavier weight taper ends. Is that right?

Anyway- the point was so you know where that part of the line is and can making casting a little faster with less false casting. I think I had plans to mark that spot on my line but have forgotten to do so.

Any remarks?

I usually think I can feel that difference but it couldn't be as accurate as if it were visual.

Paul,

The first 30' of flyline is used as the benchmark for measuring the weight of the line - 5wt 140gr, 4wt 120gr, etc. It is not necessary the length of the taper, which is where on a WF line it tapers down to running line. For example, I use Wulff Trianagle taper for most of my trout lines, and I believe the front taper is 38'.

As far as marking the line, I really see no value. I make casts at varied distances and the mark has little value. Further, I can feel the taper change with my hand while casting and wouldn't think of looking for a mark to find that point. HTH

sinking lines can be had with different color head and running line and it makes a great difference for long casts to have the rod loaded properly.You can notice as much as a foot difference.Floating lines and stream fishing how much farther you going to cast usually?

Back