March Browns

yes, that is a poly wing with a little bit of marker added to it. And No! that will NOT work for the GD. :lol:

i just happen to find this in my GD box

fly%20boxes
[/url][/img]

Looks like Krenik silk on the body?

no just antron dubbing for the body. i also use regular dubbing as well.

my march brown pattern

dai riki #270 size 12
tail -- sparkle yarn - brown
body -- tan antron mix dubbing (not sure who made it or where i got it from) i also use regular dubbing also.
wing post -- poly yarn - yellow with brown and black marker
hackle -- brown, grizzly, cree or golden grizzly will all work

for the GD go up one size with the hook
dubbing -- i use yellow mixed with some light olive (3:1 ratio)
everything else is the same

that is a killer drake pattern

Looks good! It's windy and spitting snow up here. Think I'll just stay fireside and tie March Browns today:)

Here is a March Brown nymph I tied for an upcoming Penn's trip. Any criticisms or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, it is always difficult to tie bugs without seeing them beforehand. Let me know what you think. By the way, great site. Let's see if this works.
David

Attachments

• march brown#10 side.jpg
    march brown#10 side.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 2
It looks just like the ones Jonas sells. It'll work.

Here is a natural. For what it's worth, the photos from troutnut are heavily backlit, which changes the colors of the bug a bit... so take that into account.

picture_1579_small.jpg

Festus

I like the looks of that wonderwing pattern. Do you ever fish, comparadun patterns?...my favorite!

PaulG

Thanks Paul. I fish Comparaduns, but not as much as I should. I kinda got hooked on Catskill patterns again a while back, and have devoted more time to them when on the water. Although the WW isn't classified as a true Catskill pattern, I fish them pretty often as well:)

Cranefly....that's a good looking nymph pattern. That rascal will kill fish feeding on MB Nymphs:)

nymph
dry
spinner

I like orange thread for my MB's. When they get wet it bleeds through just enough to give it a slightly orange cast.

Attachments

• March Brown (Small).JPG
    March Brown (Small).JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 2
  • March Brown Comparadun (Small).JPG
    March Brown Comparadun (Small).JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Hi-Viz Snowshoe Spinner (top) (Small)2.JPG
    Hi-Viz Snowshoe Spinner (top) (Small)2.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 1
Here's a different slant. Not my tie, but this fly is tied with the wings slanted back. I'm tying some now. I'm making one modification, because like Hammertime, I like a little orangle in my MBs, so I'm going to use Orvis Ginger SpectraBlend, which matches the MB perfectly with slivers of orange glittle in it.:)

IMG_0019.JPG

Back