March Brown - Maccaffertium vicarium

DaveKile

DaveKile

Administrator
Staff member
This was one I came across on Kettle Creek on April 27, 2010 at about 3:00 pm. Again size #14 or even maybe a #12. It was a cool and sunny day.

Common Name: March Brown
Latin: Maccaffertium vicarium
Hatches Late morning - evening, early May - late May

Tails: 2
Fore wing: molted
Hind wing: present
Hind wing costal: yes
Body length: 12-14 mm
Hind wing costal bump: present or absent
Flat head: yes or no
Time of day:
Date:
Body Color:

Freestone streams: Kettle,

Attachments

• myfly2.jpg
    myfly2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 102
If it was June instead of April, I'd guess a Slate Drake but I think April is way too early for them.

March Brown
I've often seen them just beginning to trickle off up there the last week of april - even though their traditional emergence period is in may

Bill,

We figured it was a March Brown too. I was with Ron, who you meet on the Little J last year and we figured it was very early as well. If I recall it was a little warmer earlier that week. Naturally when I arrived it got cold, windy and the fish shut down.

Still like to hear other thoughts.

I'd agree with Dryfly too. MB. It should be noted dry warm Springs will/could advance any particular hatch. Like wise, if you have weather like last Spring, then the hatches could be late. Of course I said "Could" as there are always variables to be considered.

2010 was the year of the very early hatches for just about every bug I encountered.

I've never seen them that early but that is interesting to know. I'm loving this new forum. I've got a lot to learn and this should certainly help.

Thanks Dave and Mods!

BAETIDAE Callibaetis sp. SPECKLED WING OLIVE Body- RICH GREYISH OLIVE wing-MED.BLUE DUN,MOTTLED legs-MOTTLED LIGHT BLUE DUN size-14-16 COMMON IN NORTH CENTRAL PA. 04/16/00 tails-2 Formerly-> B.Callibaetis sp.

I'm goin with March Brown as well. I think I see a pretty large hind wing there. Callibaetis have tiny hind wings. IF what I think I see is a large hind wing, then Callibaetis is eliminated.

BAETIDAE Callibaetis hatches every year about that time all over the north central region and is mistaken for MB's and gray fox all the time..had a good hatch this past spring but water was to high on pine, but smaller streams produced..

Here is another one that is mistaken for MB's too:speckled wing dun; related to calibaetis

Attachments

• speckled wing dun 6-1-07.jpg
    speckled wing dun 6-1-07.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 17
I'll trust the biological markers, such as hind wing size, over color and timing, every time. They usually aren't enough to close the book on an ID, but they're enough to eliminate a number of the possibilities.

March Brown - mottled wing, 2 tails, large obvious hind wing
Callibaetis - mottled wing, 2 tails, small minute hind wing

The picture isn't perfect, but if that is indeed a large hind wing like I think it is, then Callibaetis would be eliminated. I'd remain open to other ID's with the large hind wing, and there's still a number of possibilities.

It's a little early for March Browns in those parts, but not ridiculously so. I'm stickin with it for now.

Your latest picture I'd guess to be a Baetisca genus, of the Baetiscidae family (armored mayflies). Despite the similarity in names, it's an entirely different family than Baetidae, and not all that closely related to Baetis or Callibaetis.

http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/731

never said it was related, just another mistaken for the MB. Here it comes off the end of may-beginning of June. On a breezy day they sail like small sailboats all over and the browns go nuts.. Most guys who are not sure of what species group alot of speckled flies as MB's and Foxes when they are not..See it all the time on the streams..

Lower Penns creek. Late April 2009

27731_1428139861256_1165616524_31287365_6736611_n.jpg

That one's a little easier, and deserves it's own thread.

Ephemerella Subvaria - Hendrickson

with egg sac

It's a widespread species, Penns is famous for em, timing is perfect.

Yup. I love Hendricksons. Not because I've had great fishing or anything. But because I'm a hatch chasing junkie. Coming out of the long winter, March brings a little excitement with the BWO's (Baetis variety). But they fade off and then you have a few weeks of nothingness again. A little of this, a little of that, and something might surprise ya. But nothing in any numbers that you can go chase and kind of count on. Yet, at that time, you're so ready to go chase something.

Then come the Hendricksons, and spring is truly here. The major PA hatches coming forth will all overlap, and you have the best month of fishing just ahead of you. And from that point till October or so, you won't be without a major hatch to chase.

That said, a lot of people feel the same about the grannoms, which precede and sometimes overlap with the Hendricksons. Grannoms always allude me somehow, I catch the tail or something but never the main event.

Hendricson and/or Grannoms, the thing is, they have banker's hours. No need to be one the stream @ daylight, although I sometimes am. I have no preference for one over the other, both can be frantastic, IMO

March Browns are by far my favorite hatch. Big enough and not all they heavy a hatch. they must taste great b/c you can get fish to move several feet to take an inaccurate cast. Mostly daylight fishing too which is nice for those of us that have bad eyesight.

Back