March Brown - Maccaffertium vicarium

krayfish wrote:
March Browns are by far my favorite hatch. Big enough and not all they heavy a hatch. they must taste great b/c you can get fish to move several feet to take an inaccurate cast. Mostly daylight fishing too which is nice for those of us that have bad eyesight.

+1 (+all day long)

Agree that they must taste like MSG to the fish. Whenever they are present, I think it's a decent idea to prospect with a MB dun. Most of my nicer dry fly fish have come that way.

Now I just gotta figure out what I'm going to match with all these eastern MB (as well as GD, hendrickson, and a few others) patterns out here. I suspect they will go in the cuttie box until I find a more proper use for them.

I'll PM you my address Jay! I'll tie you up some SJW's as a straight up trade!

Lots of nifty one of a kind experimental flies in the mix, otherwise I would donate to the youth group or trade with other board members. Upright cdc cut winged no hackles and whatnot. Gotta test thoroughly before I release into the wild. A few of them might not even float.

dkile wrote:
This was one I came across on Kettle Creek on April 27, 2010 at about 3:00 pm. Again size #14 or even maybe a #12. It was a cool an sunny day.

I was camped at Ole Bull that week, so I checked my journal.
I noted Midges, P. adoptiva, E. subvaria and a few M. vicarium on that day, on Kettle.

I don't know for sure if I'm correct, but I agree with dkile and pcray

jayL wrote:
Agree that they must taste like MSG to the fish. Whenever they are present, I think it's a decent idea to prospect with a MB dun. Most of my nicer dry fly fish have come that way.

Now I just gotta figure out what I'm going to match with all these eastern MB (as well as GD, hendrickson, and a few others) patterns out here. I suspect they will go in the cuttie box until I find a more proper use for them.

No worries, no need to match hatches out there since the fish will hit just about anything that floats or drifts in front of them. Meh...not much of a sport. Real FFers fish PA.

Call me whatever you want. I think I will manage to find some trout in this cruel exile.

The eyes in the original post aren't the correct color for a march brown, a march browns eyes are a pale robins egg blue. Having said that; a march brown imitation would probably work for that fly.

Chaz wrote:
The eyes in the original post aren't the correct color for a march brown, a march browns eyes are a pale robins egg blue. Having said that; a march brown imitation would probably work for that fly.

Not always, color variations (even the eye color) are very common. Dave K's Pic and two March Brown Duns from Troutnut.com

Attachments

• March Brown Dave K.jpg
    March Brown Dave K.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 16
  • March Brown 1.jpg
    March Brown 1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 14
  • March Brown 2.jpg
    March Brown 2.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 16
Male vs. female, plus freshly molted vs. "old" can both affect eye color.

Back