Marcellus Well Site Spacing

troutbert wrote:
melvinp wrote:
in my area approx. 40 acres.The can watch each other work. And I no longer need a night light.But I do need ear plugs.

So, they we know they are going to tight spacing on private land.

Now for the next questions.

Are they going to go to tight spacing on state lands? Sproul State Forest?

"The horror, the horror."

Troutbert, the 40 acre spacing is likely NOT horizontal drilling. Pay attention.

By the way, instead of speculating and jumping to conclusions, you can likely look up the permits online to find the type of well and target depth. I have it bookmarked for Ohio, but don't feel a need to look it up for PA. I can not only look up details of new wells, but find details going back a few years. Not sure how far I could go back, because I'm only concerned with new drilling.

Its kinda hard to judge what a 40 acre section is is this 40 from center or 20 in both directions.All I can say is that they are pretty near each other and they are drilling horizontal.

melvinp wrote:
Its kinda hard to judge what a 40 acre section is is this 40 from center or 20 in both directions.All I can say is that they are pretty near each other and they are drilling horizontal.

An acre is a measurement of area, not a distance.

1 acre=43560 sq. ft.

40 acres = 1742400 sq.ft.

Assuming perfect squares which they are not, and the drill dead center and they aren't, that puts drill spacing at 1320 feet, which is exactly and probably not coincidentally 1/4 mile spacing.

Feel free to check my math.

I don't know what the law permits, but I'm betting shallower wells can be much closer.

I would say a 1/2 mile hits it just about perfect.Thats as the crow flys anyway.

Back