Map?

S

Squaretail

With the passing of my mother, my stepfather who probably doesn't have much longer as well though hes in good shape for now. However he felt it important knowing now how much I love flyfishing to give me a map of Pennsylvania waters. I think its from 1965 and has a good bit of wear on it . My stepfather seemed to think it was missing from circulation for a while and has since been found, but believes this to be an original which it certainly looks like it. It was made by someone named Howard Higbee. Just wondering if it is worth framing, other than the fact that it was my stepfathers who was truly more like an actual father to me. It seems to have every trickle I have ever fished on it although the sizes and shapes arent as accurate as todays maps. Anyone ever hear of this?

http://www.streammaps.com/

I've heard of the Higbee maps, and they are much beloved. They show every coldwater fishery in the state (I believe). Frame it, if you can afford to.

I believe someone donated several to the Doc Fritchey Chapter, as we've auctioned off a few in the past couple years. Our banquet is in March, watch for announcements at www.DFTU.org

Jack, though it would still be precious to me, I thank you very much for the info. He wasnt sure when he was telling me but it turns out he was right on the money. Along with his flyrod that he gave me, I dont think I would have taken diamonds instead. Thank you so very much.
Pad I assure you it will be framed although at about 3 feet by 4 feet it will be an expensive one.
Come to think of it, it probably is time to join TU. Do I just show at a meeting or can I online or what?
Forget that, I just followed the link you posted.

I think it would be fanscinating to compare a map from the 60's to one of today. Would there be more or less access? More or less fishing? What would have been lost, what gained?

If you come to a future meeting, PM me. I'd enjoy saying hello. I'll be the guy in the wheelchair (for now) :) As far as joining, you can join online. Of course you don't have to come to a meeting or help with a work day. It's a good thing to do though (IMHO). I like the magazines and this year, all TU members had 3 days added to their year! (Unfortunately in February)

I still have an original Higbee map from the early seventys.
It was advertised in the pittsburgh post gazette, and it cost only $1.00 - probably even with the shipping. what a deal!
It was a little hard to use though, because it had no roadways on it.
So, to find out how to get to a certain stream, you had to cross reference it with a road map.
I haven't seen the new ones, but I'd bet they have roads on them now.
Since the PA Delorme came out, I'm not sure how useful the Higbee map is anymore, although I guess there are still some streams shown on it that aren't on the DeLorme

I had this map framed when I was living in a previous home. It was really big. I didn't even bother putting the glass in it, because of the price and weight. Mine held up just fine with out the glass.

I have an original that my grandfather gave to me when I was a kid. It is rolled and protected. I also have one of the new prints hanging in my office. It is fascinating to look at and daydream about fishing!

Squaretail, I have the same Higbee although it is a reprint. Whatever you do, PROTECT it! You have one that is very old and worth more than the reprints available today. My sister, Ellie works for University of Pennsylvania, in Creating and updating maps. She gave me this map 2 years ago for a birthday gift. The one you have is certainly priceless in more ways than one. The best way to utilize it without damaging it is to frame it first (i'm sure we could do it much cheaper with plexi-glass and ferring strips from Home depot) and then Ellie can create an "over-lay" to place over the map. An over-lay is just transparent plastic sheet with all major, minor, gravel, and dirt roadways in PA marked on the plastive over-lay (we used them in the Army while doing land navigation) Yu attache it to the top of the frame so you can lift it off and on the map. I have not yet done this with mine, waiting until we buy a house so I have the room to hang it on a wall. Ellie has offered to create an overlay for me when I'm ready and I'm sure she'll be happy to burn 2 copies! What a gift! And a flyrod to boot! Cherish them!

Squaretail,

Sorry to hear about your mother, that's a very tough loss I'm sure. My condolences to you and your entire family.

That's a fantastic gift from your Stepfather! What a gift! My buddy's got a newer version and those maps are excellent! I agree, frame this one and you'll have a wonderful keepsake.

The newer ones I've seen are pretty big, so you may need to get it to somebody who frames paintings, etc.

NoMoreCornChuckin....

Classy move! :cool:

I'd frame it, it may be worth some money. Higbee maps were not incirculation for a while, but they are available again through the PA Trout web site.

I'd also frame it.

But the way I see it, you can probably buy the materials, frame stock, and a power miter saw for about the same price as you would pay someone else to frame it. That is what i would do. One can never have too many toys ... errr, I mean tools.

Back