Many stream imp, stormH2O mgmt, soil conservation and dam removal projects coming

M

Mike

Note that the long list of projects includes the Paper Mill Dam removal project on Cacoosing Ck where it flows into the Tully DH Area as well as stormwater projects on Cacoosing and Wyomissing Cks, both of which have Class A sections.

Many of the other projects listed across the state are also interesting.

http://www.ahs.dep.pa.gov/NewsRoomPublic/articleviewer.aspx?id=21563&typeid=1

"Restoration of 2,310 linear feet of Snitz Creek"

When they say "restoration" of xxxx feet of a stream, what does that mean?

What is actually done?

The term "restoration" is very generic.

Fantastic news. Wish I saw more of it.

Good question Troutbert, I was also curious about that.
The report callls for the restoration of up to 4,000ft of Halter, and Frankstown which I am very happy to see on the report, as well as the Sediment and Stormwater run-off prevention in Cumberland County.

My question is, when was the last time this sort of money was used for a state-wide stream and river restoration of this magnitude? And if I were to want to help and volunteer on some of the streams local to me (Blair, Westmoreland) who would I contact?

troutbert wrote:
"Restoration of 2,310 linear feet of Snitz Creek"

When they say "restoration" of xxxx feet of a stream, what does that mean?

What is actually done?

The term "restoration" is very generic.

I researched the project and came up with this:

http://www.quittapahillawatershedassociation.org/documents/180713-Snitz2-DetailedDescription4Website.pdf

Hope that helps.

The link Afish provided seems to provide a good overview of the project. Something to keep in mind is that although funding has been released for these projects, many are still in the permitting phase. A stream restoration project of that size requires a joint permit to be reviewed by DEP, PFBC also provides comments on those permit applications.

From 1968 thru 2000 a person (not me of course) fished Springton Dam in Delaware County as long as it wasn't frozen over and it was similar to a clear mountain impoundment back then. Sand & gravel bottom in many areas and able to see the bottom while wading in the summer and with the water turning seriously clear in October.

Since then it's become green/brown in summer and develops a layer of stinking putrid slimy scum in the Fall when the algae dies. The scum travels to various areas depending on the wind. When it "stacks" in the east near the RT252 dam, it just reeks as you drive over it. The contrast from 1970 to now is just awful.

I wonder if a similar change has happened to many SEPA streams as well, but its just not so obvious. So, I appreciate all the projects listed in the report and thank everyone who assisted in making them happen.

Thanks, Afish

Troutbert. The term “restoration” has come to mean assessing the stream in terms of the Rosgen classification scheme and then developing a Rosgen solution. That seems to be the case with the Snitz Creek project.

Back