Manatawny creek Berks pa.

Jessed

Jessed

I’ve been lookin around for new streams to fish this upcoming spring and wanted to fish the manatawny. I have fished it before a few years ago and was a really pretty stream! Didn’t catch anything but enjoyed the stream. I’ve heard it supports a good population of wild fish and looks like it has excellent habit ( from the stretch I fished near the tiki bar)! Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Jessed wrote:
I’ve been lookin around for new streams to fish this upcoming spring and wanted to fish the manatawny. I have fished it before a few years ago and was a really pretty stream! Didn’t catch anything but enjoyed the stream. I’ve heard it supports a good population of wild fish and looks like it has excellent habit ( from the stretch I fished near the tiki bar)! Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

The Manny is one of the better streams to fish in the SE. I has quite a few hatches like early stones, baetis, hendricksons, sulpurs and many different caddis species.

The lower and middle sections are stocked early in the season and there are some wild browns mixed in with the stockies in the cold and cool water season. The further upstream you fish, the more wild fish are present.

The stream really warms in the summer, but it's great stream to fish in the spring. My favorite time to fish is actually a little later in the spring when most anglers give up because there's no fish left! ;-)

There are smatterings,,and I do mean smatterings, of wild Browns throughout much of the Manatawny, at least as far downstream as RT562. In wet summers and I suppose near some tribs you can find them farther downstream. There are two short stretches that I know to hold reasonably good wild brown populations. One is about 200 yds long and the other is a quarter mile long. I suspect that there is even a better stretch, but it has been posted since the 1970's. As for stockings, the stream has four stocked sections that are stocked with varying frequencies.

One of these sections, which is above Pine Forge, probably is lightly pressured because of poor parking and longer walks, making it a better section for inseason fishing. It also has very limited access for stocking purposes. It is possible that this section will be surveyed for angler usage in the near future and stocked accordingly. There are usage concerns and it has not been possible to find any group or individuals willing to undertake float stocking.

A suggestion to learn the Manatawny would be to help stock. The section above the Tiki bar got a ton of buckets dumped in plus float stocked. I don't know if it will again or not. Like Mike said you will pick up wild fish here and there but not frequently. The lowest I've caught wild browns is just outside of Pottstown, but that was a while ago. I was fishing for Smallmouth in August and was still catching trout.

Back