Man...It comes and goes fast

S

Sylvaneous

Is it just because I'm older? Nah... I think it has to do with being so rainy this spring. But WOW it was like I was waiting for grannoms just a bit ago bit then I fished in a green drake hatch on Saturday. Yeesh. Is it just me? Anybody else? \
Syl.

I was counting the days to get out and fish the hendricksons and now I'm starting to think of bass. Getting old and it zips by

Went out on a Class A yesterday for ~4 hrs. When I got home, I felt like I got run over by a Greyhound. This morning was even worse. Getting old sucks. Thank God for Voltaren 🙏

Guys, I was literally just thinking this today and yesterday. How it's almost June already, and I feel like I've barely trout fished much this spring.

I, too, feel like life is speeding by.

Guys, I was literally just thinking this today and yesterday. How it's almost June already, and I feel like I've barely trout fished much this spring.

I, too, feel like life is speeding by.
Exactly. Like I JUST started the game and it's into the 4th quarter.

I had plans this season to fish the grannom and other early season hatches in central PA. Instead, because of kids’ sports, work, and weather, I’ve fished twice since the beginning of March and not once in PA. My highlight of the spring was taking a day off work and chasing smallmouth in central MD.

Now it’s almost June…

However, I do have a family trip to Canada in late June which will afford plenty of time for smallmouth fishing. I also have a golf trip to Scotland in August. So I guess I don’t deserve a whole lot of sympathy!

Went out on a Class A yesterday for ~4 hrs. When I got home, I felt like I got run over by a Greyhound. This morning was even worse. Getting old sucks. Thank God for Voltaren 🙏
It might not be your age.

This is another reason why I don't plan my fishing around hatches. Just too short of a time frame once weather is factored in. A month and a half maybe??? That isn't much of a fishing season IMO.

I got a glut of Grannoms...Sulphurs too that I tied all Winter. I should've learned by now that all I really need is a stout supply of various terrestrials. Hatches have been VERY sporadic at the places I fish (some are well-known and others are not). Grannoms were great last year on Spring. Sulphurs- not so much. If you read the TCO Stream Reports, they make it sound like you will have worthwhile hatches, but it's been anything but so far this year. The brookies don't seem to care though.

Is it just because I'm older? Nah... I think it has to do with being so rainy this spring. But WOW it was like I was waiting for grannoms just a bit ago bit then I fished in a green drake hatch on Saturday. Yeesh. Is it just me? Anybody else? \
Syl.
just had the same conversation yesterday. i missed a lot of the early hatches while shad fishing and now
find myself awaiting on some isonychias. gonna be hitting smallies pretty soon so unless the iso's hatch
for a couple weeks or i take a long drive to the Upper D, i'm not going to have a lot to show for my trout season.

Looking at the hot weather forecast for this week i was thinking the same thing this morning. We wait all winter, all year really, for spring then it flies by! Its like someone said in another thread just too many other things going on to get a good amount of days out there, so you get what you can. I fished 5 days so far this spring so thats about average for me last 5 years. I have a family and well balanced albeit busy life, i'm grateful for what i have

Since spring goes so fast i got back into smallies last year or two (spin and fly) so definitely looking forward to that.

It sure does! I look forward to spring stripers all winter. Today, might be my last spring striper trip of 2024. They are starting to get small. As far as spring went, I thought we had a good long spring this year compared to recent years where it seemed we went from winter right to summer temps in a week.

you can’t fight age for ever but the fight has to happen. I walk 6 miles every night and work out every morning for 50 minutes to help slow down feeling old. I’m still exhausted and need a nap after a half day of fishing.

This is another reason why I don't plan my fishing around hatches. Just too short of a time frame once weather is factored in. A month and a half maybe??? That isn't much of a fishing season IMO.
Not really.
I started fishing BWO's this year first week of February.
And they can go for a good 2 months or more.

Hendricksons - my favorite - started last week of march on a central pa limestoner, (which I contacted you about)
After a week pause for high water first week of April, I continued fishing them again on Kettle creek for two weeks.
Then fished them on the Clarion river for another 2 weeks after that, when it got wadable.
And finally on to the Delaware river earlier this month, where they were still going strong as of a week ago.
Spent a month and a half just fishing them alone.

Sulphers starting now, and can be fished right through June and into July.
Often with Iso's too

And even once the spring hatches finally wind down, I catch fish on terrestrials all summer and fall.
It pays to move around

Not really.
I started fishing BWO's this year first week of February.
And they can go for a good 2 months or more.

Hendricksons - my favorite - started last week of march on a central pa limestoner, (which I contacted you about)
After a week pause for high water first week of April, I continued fishing them again on Kettle creek for two weeks.
Then fished them on the Clarion river for another 2 weeks after that, when it got wadable.
And finally on to the Delaware river earlier this month, where they were still going strong as of a week ago.
Spent a month and a half just fishing them alone.

Sulphers starting now, and can be fished right through June and into July.
Often with Iso's too

And even once the spring hatches finally wind down, I catch fish on terrestrials all summer and fall.
It pays to move around
This is true, and our trout fishing doesn't have to be over. There is plenty of water that stays cold year round.

But time moves so quickly. I hate to say this, but it feels like this: here today, dead tomorrow. I know our lives are just a blip in the grand scheme, but dang, it cruises by.

For sure.
I've always got out fishing as much as I can.
And when I am out there, I make the most of my time

Been with a lot of people who wrap it up early, to get home at a decent time.
I stay until the fish stop rising, or I absolutely can't see the fly anymore.
Guess that's why I need to drive by myself.....

Think we’re all feeling a little bit like this- kind of a funky year overall. I’ve done pretty well and gotten out a good bit but I can’t help but feel like I’ve been missing the overall satisfaction that really good trips deliver and conditions have been less than ideal damn near every outing.

My experience: 2024 hatches started earlier than usual- much earlier in some cases…talking like February here- so if you weren’t paying attention or don’t do much winter fishing you might have missed a good portion of the BWO, quill and Hendrickson action while the getting was good. Then- just as you caught on that the grannoms, grey fox, MB might come early- all the rivers got washed out and shot up to 3x wadeable flows for most people, and stayed like that for the better part of April. Finally in May just when it looked like things would settle down for sulphur season- a week or two of summer like temps pushed a lot of the hatches late and another deluge hit and blew everything out again. Now as it drops, the water is warming up (Penns will likely be unsafe to fish in the lower stretches by mid week, the freestones in the Catskills too) and everybody and their brother is out for the first decent week of flows probably since April since it’s that GD hatch (interpret that abbreviation however you see fit).

TL;DR- Lot of less than optimal conditions this year, lot of pent up demand making things crowded when things fished well, and a lot of waiting for things to get better while time cruelly zips downstream. Thanks for reading my dissertation

Think we’re all feeling a little bit like this- kind of a funky year overall. I’ve done pretty well and gotten out a good bit but I can’t help but feel like I’ve been missing the overall satisfaction that really good trips deliver and conditions have been less than ideal damn near every outing.

My experience: 2024 hatches started earlier than usual- much earlier in some cases…talking like February here- so if you weren’t paying attention or don’t do much winter fishing you might have missed a good portion of the BWO, quill and Hendrickson action while the getting was good. Then- just as you caught on that the grannoms, grey fox, MB might come early- all the rivers got washed out and shot up to 3x wadeable flows for most people, and stayed like that for the better part of April. Finally in May just when it looked like things would settle down for sulphur season- a week or two of summer like temps pushed a lot of the hatches late and another deluge hit and blew everything out again. Now as it drops, the water is warming up (Penns will likely be unsafe to fish in the lower stretches by mid week, the freestones in the Catskills too) and everybody and their brother is out for the first decent week of flows probably since April since it’s that GD hatch (interpret that abbreviation however you see fit).

TL;DR- Lot of less than optimal conditions this year, lot of pent up demand making things crowded when things fished well, and a lot of waiting for things to get better while time cruelly zips downstream. Thanks for reading my dissertation
I hope when I retire, I can spend a whole April-May on Penns. Then I can use up my unused stock of quill gordons, Grannoms, and Hendrickons that grow larger and never get used.

Exactly. Like I JUST started the game and it's into the 4th quarter.
Well.....................you could be into the final seconds of the 4th quarter.................or worse yet, sudden death overtime.

Back