Making my own landing net out of PVC.

S

somersetian

After losing a fish that appeared to be 18" or ^ I finally was going to take my friends advice and purchase a landing net, then I saw the price tags. Being the do it yourselfer I am I started thinking of making my own. I've made my own tippet holder, rod cases, rod rack so why not landing net. I could purchase replacement rubber coated netting for 12 bucks online, and I think an 8' piece of 1/2 schedule 40 is only about 6 bucks. I have heated up schedule 40 pipe before to make all kinds of shapes. Could I use 10 lb mono to attach the netting? I don't know what do you guys think of the idea?

I bet a thin but semi-rigid piping, say 3/8 pvc would be able to be bent into a loop and then inserted into a 1 inch more rigid pvc pipe and secured with a screw or bolt/nut combo. I think most replacement nettings are designed or can be "threaded" onto the thinner piping. Personally, I would buy an inexpensive net at WalMart.

Attachments

• netsketch.jpg
    netsketch.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 7
JackM wrote:
Personally, I would buy an inexpensive net at WalMart.

Agreed. If money truly is the issue, and you are already in for $18 with your plan, I would probably go with this:

Rubber Net

Then again, would be pretty cool to make one.

Money is always an issue, that said once I get an idea I usually follow through with it. If I make one and it works out I'll post pictures.

I just bought that cabelas net for S and G. It's definitely worth $20 but the bag isn't as deep as it looks in the picture; fish almost wiggle out.

Just curious, why wouldn't you attempt to make the handle/frame out of wood or aluminum?

I thought about wood first. With wood you would need glue/sealer/clamps/more wood to make a mold. I have previous experience with molding and shaping PVC, and it is very durable and lightweight. Plus I can probably get a stick from work for free sometime.

I too enjoy the challenge of a build over buying something but, I'm not sure pvc is the material I would choose. It simply has no character. I would go with a cheapie net or experiment with another material like branches for that rustic look.

Yea, I like the branches idea. Then you could use some leather strapping to secure where the branch comes around to make the handle.

My plan was to make the handle out of wood and router out the 2 sides so the PVC fits in. I'm holding out for a stick to be left behind on a job at work by a plumber and I'm gonna try.

willow twisted and tied with leather works good.

I think a wooden-handled net with a bent/flexed PVC pipe would be a terrific net. Aluminum ring would be light as well. Paint either that you choose

I've used one of these for years and it works great and is never in the way. I get lots of compliments on how practical it is. LoL

http://www.neatoshop.com/product/Noggin-Net-Prank-Gift-Box

Back