Make you own furled leader without a jig

Excellent topic, I really like this.

afish, super helpful post, but I'm having a hard time reading the picture you posted. I'd love to maybe try and post a higher resolution copy. You can email (PM me for the address) the PP (I'm assuming PowerPoint) file and I"ll see what I can do.

I've been having a really hard time with store bought mono-tapered 'knotless' leaders and memory, will this pretty much clear up that problem? Also, can you just roll them up and store them in a leader wallet without any problems, ie. that dreaded memory?

Come to a gathering where afish, fred, me, or one of the other furlers are present for a live demonstration.

Jay, are any of you guys heading up to the jam on the Del in Sept.?

I am. Not sure about the others.

wsender wrote:
Excellent topic, I really like this.

afish, super helpful post, but I'm having a hard time reading the picture you posted. I'd love to maybe try and post a higher resolution copy. You can email (PM me for the address) the PP (I'm assuming PowerPoint) file and I"ll see what I can do.

I've been having a really hard time with store bought mono-tapered 'knotless' leaders and memory, will this pretty much clear up that problem? Also, can you just roll them up and store them in a leader wallet without any problems, ie. that dreaded memory?

Sender, PM sent

jayL wrote:
Come to a gathering where afish, fred, me, or one of the other furlers are present for a live demonstration.

What about the 2011 Jam for a demo? GG

Gfen:

I have tried the youtube method as well to make a few leaders, but I'm having a problem. It seems that when I get about 3/4ths of the way through the first set of twists, the two strands get horribly twisted and kinked. Does this happen to you as well, and what do you do to work around it?

gfen wrote:
FWIW, I just wanted to comment on this since I finally tried out a couple I'd made today.

I didn't go the Afish route as much as I went the Youtube method, and they worked like a champ. So much so, that when using my 3wt, I could clearly see the hinge point from line to leader messing everything else up from the most gentle, perfectly laid presentations I think I've ever done.

Matter of fact, I simply whipped up a short 4" piece and then used some mono to double nail knot it to the line, giving me a loop for changing leaders with an effortless transition, from 6 strands to 4 to 2 to tippet.

4500020299_ff87b3a81c_m.jpg

Quick question, Afish... When putting the triple surgeons knots in the leader, do you use a seperate piece of line and go over top the leader or do you knot the actual leader?

I'm not afish, but you knot the leader.

good enough for me, jay. thanks!

Yup, TS knot with the leader.

When I first started making them I used a nail or needle knot with heavy tying thread or braided line. You can use a bright color to make it sort of an indy if you wanted. I found it easier to just use a TS knot plus it holds the strands together better, but you can use a nail or needle if you like. BTW, a double works too, but the leader doesn't lay straight.

goodfortune wrote:
Gfen:

I have tried the youtube method as well to make a few leaders, but I'm having a problem. It seems that when I get about 3/4ths of the way through the first set of twists, the two strands get horribly twisted and kinked. Does this happen to you as well, and what do you do to work around it?

gfen wrote:
FWIW, I just wanted to comment on this since I finally tried out a couple I'd made today.

I didn't go the Afish route as much as I went the Youtube method, and they worked like a champ. So much so, that when using my 3wt, I could clearly see the hinge point from line to leader messing everything else up from the most gentle, perfectly laid presentations I think I've ever done.

Matter of fact, I simply whipped up a short 4" piece and then used some mono to double nail knot it to the line, giving me a loop for changing leaders with an effortless transition, from 6 strands to 4 to 2 to tippet.

4500020299_ff87b3a81c_m.jpg

I was having the exact same problem, however I engineered a solution with something most everyone has!

You'll need, a chair and two 'Barrel Swivels with Safety Snaps' aka fishing swivels.

Tie two swivels to the back of a chair. Take your starting 21'-24' piece of mono and tie a perfection loop in each end of the mono. Attach said loops to the swivels. Walk backwards until you find the middle point and starts twisting! The swivels allow the tags ends to rotate freely and this method also allows you to maintain a nice constant pressure on the twist resulting in a nice, uniform wrap very quickly. I was able to pound out a leader in 5 minutes, no kinks.

If you have any questions let me know.

I tried it using a chair, plain barrel swivels, and paper clips in place of the snaps. It worked like a charm, keeping the two strands absolutely kink-free during the first set of twists.

A simple and elegant solution; thanks wsender:-D!!!

wsender wrote:

I was having the exact same problem, however I engineered a solution with something most everyone has!

You'll need, a chair and two 'Barrel Swivels with Safety Snaps' aka fishing swivels.

Tie two swivels to the back of a chair. Take your starting 21'-24' piece of mono and tie a perfection loop in each end of the mono. Attach said loops to the swivels. Walk backwards until you find the middle point and starts twisting! The swivels allow the tags ends to rotate freely and this method also allows you to maintain a nice constant pressure on the twist resulting in a nice, uniform wrap very quickly. I was able to pound out a leader in 5 minutes, no kinks.

If you have any questions let me know.

Sender could you post some photo's of your setup ?

I'm not so sure this method has much if any advantage over a jig. It may save the intial setu-up time of creatign a jig, but I believe using a jig easier, and more versatile. Additionally, when using a jig, there are no surgeons nots to tie, only a couple overhand loops. Making a "traditional" jig for furled leaders is not hard at all and the use of a drill (powered or hand cranked) makes twisting a breeze. Most of you probably already have everything you need to make them a jig at home. You actually don't even need to mount enverything on a board. You just need to make posts and then you can set them up on a table or on the floor, anchoring them with duct tape or heavy weights. The global fly fisher site has tons of info on making both the jig parts and the leaders themselves also the book "Micropatterns" has a pretty comprehensive description of making furled leaders with a post set up.

One other thing. I see some references to 3/0 thread and 2lb test mono. If you think you are getting good results with these materials, try the jig method and use 6/0 or even 8/0 uni thread. You will need to use more "strands" for each segment but you will have greater control over the end diameter and the resulting taper. The leaders made with mono and 3/0 will seem like harbor rope in comparison. In addition to being able to fine tune tapers, the thinner leaders will still perform well, be even more supple, and carry even less water. (less spray)

Kev

afish sent me the PP for his furled leader info. Hopefully this should be a little higher quality and more legible.

Attachments

• Furled.jpg
    Furled.jpg
    955.9 KB · Views: 21
I tied the ones in the Youtube video up for bass and they work realy well so far :pint:

Fredrick,

I just fished one I made with my modified YouTube method list night. Worked great!! Picked up 6 YOY fingerling Brownies on tricos. Too much fun.

search google to learn about some knot tutorials

Back