Maiden Creek, Berks County

T

Troy

Hi All,
I have not been fishing much lately due to the heat and I am in desperate need to go fishing. I live in Berks county and I want to hit some new smallie water. I know the Schuylkill like the back of my hand, but I want something different. Anyway, I have fished Maiden Creek for smallies around Blue Falls Grove and have done well in the past, but I am thinking of fishing it somewhere different. Have any of you ever fished right below the Ontelaunee spillway or anywhere above the lake? What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Troy

Yep. If you do a "from the beginning" search on "ontelaunee", you should get some info. I recall the spillway being discussed about two years ago.

I have only really fished it for catfish, but I've been told that there are good smallie, panfish, and muskie opportunities.

Thanks Jay. The 4 inch smallies of the Schuylkill this year just isn't cutting it for me.

Link to the thread that I must have remembered.

I definitely remember hearing a few more positive reviews of the WW fishing in the spillway area, but can't find them. I'd just go check it out.

I can tell you that lake ontelaunee is good for wading as well, and holds some large bass and musky.

Jay,
I found that same thread. I guess that is what I'm going to do. If the spillway doesn't produce, I always have the lake to try. Like I said, I use to fish below Blue Falls Grove and it was always pretty good for smallies. The last time I went it wasn't that great. I think I know the reason. Many people go there to catch a meal. I couldn't believe the fish this guy had on a stringer.

I went to the spillway and caught some panfish and one smallie. They weren't big, but they really fought for some reason. I think I had my fly pretty deep so maybe that enhanced the fight. I did have one fish on that almost took my rod from me because I wasn't expecting it. I lost that fish. I saw some kind of fish about 30 yards from me that was smoothly putting his upper half out of the water. It looked big. It did this 2 or 3 times. I then went over to look and didn't see it. I have no idea what it was, but I would guess Muskie or Carp.

I then headed over to the lake and threw on a popper and had no luck. I left about 7:45 so I might have been a little early with the popper. Anyway, it was a nice day out. I don't know if I will try there again, but it was fun.

Troy

PFBC study showed lake ontelaunee is filthy with whisker fish. You do any good there Jay? I am feeling the need to sit on a bank with my redneck buddies, drink beer and catch catties.

Never fished the lake proper for them. Just the spillway. My cattie spot is a bit south of you. The last two years have sucked for cattie fishing, but I normally do it once every few weeks in the summer.

This report is from 2003 but there was a ton of catties in there.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/fisheries/afm/2003/6_05-20ontelaunee.htm

Be awesome if we could get toons on it. Blahhh.

I hooked a musky there this spring. PM incoming.

Back