Magazines

Reading magazines is what leads you to believe you need a thousand dollar outfit to fish properly. Ignorance and a 200 dollar outfit is bliss. I won't even read a fishing magazine in the dentist office waiting room.

redietz wrote:
Fly fishing for me has always been a contemplative pursuit, with a healthy respect for tradition. The Drake is geared toward the "ripping lips" crowd.

It can get pretentious and even sappy at times, but the Drake is as far from "ripping lips" as you can get in current FF mags.

What about the Mid-Atlantic Fly Fishing Guide?

I used to love going to the fly shop to pick up a copy. I have stacks upon stacks in my tying room and I find myself looking back through the past issues for the current month to compare the articles. it's interesting to watch the trends come and go and come again.

PennKev wrote:

It can get pretentious and even sappy at times, but the Drake is as far from "ripping lips" as you can get in current FF mags.

It's where I first encountered the term. I'll admit I haven't looked at it in several years, but I really disliked when I first picked it up.

TimRobinsin wrote:
What about the Mid-Atlantic Fly Fishing Guide?

I used to love going to the fly shop to pick up a copy. I have stacks upon stacks in my tying room and I find myself looking back through the past issues for the current month to compare the articles. it's interesting to watch the trends come and go and come again.

I guess most of us were thinking about the glossy magazines. I still pick up the Mid-Atlantic whenever I'm in a fly shop; it's by far the most pertinent to our region.

I have a subscription to Eastern Fly Fishing, I like the info on various places around the East and Midwest. I especially like the "Around the East" section for lesser known, but very cool locations.

Raftman- it was a pleasure to read. Congrats on getting that piece published in the Drake, a very cool accomplishment.

Not a full fly fishing magazine, but "Anglers Journal" is one of the best ever fishing magazines I have ever read. It's only been in publication for a little over a year. You can view all of their issues on line for free. But to truly enjoy them you have to have them in hand.

http://mydigimag.rrd.com/publication/?i=191562

Not a full fly fishing magazine, but "Anglers Journal" is one of the best ever fishing magazines I have ever read. It's only been in publication for a little over a year. You can view all of their issues on line for free. But to truly enjoy them you have to have them in hand.

Oh wow, thanks for this link. I'll pick up any mag that publishes Jim Harrison. Quality!

I got The Drake for a year but let the subscription terminate. I now get Fly Fusion magazine which is okay. Mostly I just check out free online magazines.

http://www.hatchmag.com/

http://www.thisisfly.com/

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/fullscreen/52202388/summer-2015

http://issuu.com/kype-fishing-magazine/docs/kype_6.2_layout_1

http://online.qmags.com/TU0915S/m2/?pg=1&sid=6b94c56c-3f94-4a85-a742-772d8f2e03e5&src=&sessionID=

I use to get every magazine there was then I guided for three years out west, and learned that all that hype in the mags were just that. Most guides lifestyles are not like the articles, and all that expensive gear is just that you can catch the same fish on a $50.00 rod and a hook tied with carpet lint. This I learned from the guides who have done it more years than a new roof lasts. So no magazines here someone else can spend the big money on gear to go after a fish that I saw a 7 year old catch not even knowing any techniques.

pcray,

Print is by far Superior to digital and does not require batteries. I have earned my livelihood creating Print...I currently work for a large printing company that specializes in magazines. Since the inception of printing on paper...it has been the has been a great run. It will soon be over.

Kids will be discovering "watches" and doing all their "reading" on google glass...they will have heads up displays on there flat brimmed logo covered hats that offer the latest from orvis.

Maybe, in 20 years...like vinyl records are reportedly on the comeback now, elitist fly fishermen will only want the finest "traditional" paper to document and offer the knowledge of their heritage.

Long Live Ink On Paper

I was making fun of the photography often found in mags like the Drake, moreso than print vs. digital.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that HDR can be done quite well. But many of the examples I see are just so fake looking. Oversaturated like an oil painting. And glossy paper makes them look even more fake than matte computer screens.

I appreciate a good oil painting, and a good photograph. I just see them as two different things, conveying totally different feelings. I can't bring myself to appreciate hybrids, it leaves me emotionally confused.

Cue a photographer to explain that HDR doesn't have to be oversaturated. That's without a doubt true, and I've seen a few great ones. But it certainly leads to the tendency to oversaturate.

Never cared much for The Drake.

I subscribed to Fly Tyer for probably nine consecutive years, but lately that magazine has gone downhill. Fly Tyer is to the point of utter repetition and it features some rather poorly tied flies.

I used to get most of them. Now like most on this tread I may read them at the bookstore or grab one at the airport.

I have availed myself of the Pennsylvania Angler legacy issues. My father always got that magazine. I usually had it read cover to cover by the time he got home from work. Looking back at some of those issues really brought back memories of he and I trying to find new waters.

I read a lot, and fish not enough.

I have subscriptions to Fly Rod & Reel, Eastern FF and did have one to American Angler.

When I'm across the pond I try to pick up "Trout & Salmon" and "Flyfishing & Fly Tying" - both magazines feature a lot of truly wild fishing and innovative tying and fishing of flies - it also tickles me when a US based technique or fly makes its way there and vice versa.

'Today's Flyfisher" is also a nice read, though aimed more at Stillwater anglers - but again it broadens the mind, who here for example has caught trout from a boat on dry flies on a lake or pond ?

If I can't fish (which is often) , I'm happy to read about it - or tye flies. For me, nothing will ever replace a pile of old fishing magazines to pick through on a wet and windy winters night.

cheers

Mark.

Back