Macro shots

lv2nymph

lv2nymph

I'm tying a box of midges for the first time, down to 26. I thought they looked pretty darn good untill I took a macro shot of them and looked at it. Wow! To the naked eye they look great take a macro not so much. I'm not concerned about fishability just that kind of shot really shows it.

They will fish fine. If a trouts eye sight was 'that' good. You wouldnt catch anything on account of them seeing the hook sticking out the back of the fly.

I agree with you on that 100% It just took me by surprise how different they looked. I have a new respect for the tyers that get their ties to the level that they look perfect that close up. Hans Weilenmann of holland is one such tyer, I've corresponded with him on some of his patterns and getting them that perfect takes time, at least for me.

As long as it is the right size color your good. No reason (if you ask me) to make your flies look like they belong in a magazine. They are just gunna get torn apart, lost, dropped, hung-up, ect. More time tying is less time fishing.

Right...

But to each there own. Fly tying is truly an art. And everyones interpretation of said art is different.

I can only tie " cripples". And you don't need a macro to notice.

Every once in a while I get in the mood to attempt to get ties that good, usually doesn't last though. There are so many different patterns I want to tie and try I just can't stay with one too long.
Yes, cripples that look bad are good!

Macro photography is my harshest and most helpful critic. Fish come in second place. I have to have confidence in my fly afterall.

I've never tied this many flies under size 20 before, I'm down to size 26 :-o A couple of things I've noticed is:
If you want a size 20 to look like a 16 tie a bunch of #26
It only takes one wrap of thread to make a 26 a 24
Those hooks can be a problem to get in the jaws
If you drop one... well, they can be tough to find
Getting beads on a size 24 hook... I think you all know the rest of that one :)
I've found the more you do it the better it gets, if you have not tied these because you're intimidated by the size of the hooks believe it or not they get bigger.

Back