Mackerel Imitation

F

Fishidiot

I've been tying some salt flies lately in anticipatation of some striper fishing. Up in New England, large schools of Atlantic Mackerel form a major part of a striper's diet in summer. The smaller macks are often called "tinkers" or "spikes" - they usually run under a foot in length and are a popular bait.

Here's an example of a basic mackerel fly I'm tying. It's all synthetic material and the black back markings are magic marker. The big plastic eyes are a touch I like on salt flies (not sure if it really improves the catch rate) and I glue the eye to a clear piece of plastic cut from a food container. This allows the eye to sit further back on the streamer's side and still have a solid anchor tied into the head.

Attachments

• Mackerel.jpg
    Mackerel.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 10

Ep fibers? SOmething different?

Oh heck, I'm not sure. I think the white belly stuff is EP product, the rest I don't know as I jumble all my synthetics together and many of the original packaging labels are missing.

I'm going to want to pick some of that general style of stuff up. I have some of the Orvis krinkly stuff, dunno what its called. It doesn't seem to be as nifty as the EP fibers I've seen.

That looks really awful. Please send all the ones you've tied to me for disposal and try again please!

Don't forget your lobster flies Dave big forage base up there and sand eels also they get bigger up there

Back