M.R. Montgomery books

Acristickid

Acristickid

Wasn’t familiar with this author until a few years ago when another author of “Cutthroat” highly recommend it.

It’s a collection of fly fishing stories of which many are focused on native trout - particularly in the west.

Seems to me many guys over 40-50 would really enjoy his books.

“Maurice R. Montgomery was an American author. He was born in eastern Montana. His works include In Search of L. L. Bean, A Field Guide to Airplanes of North America, Saying Goodbye: A Memoir for Two Fathers, The Way of the Trout, Jefferson and the Gun-Men, and Many Rivers to Cross.”

Back when he was traveling for trout decades ago, his information was gleaned with lotsa leg work. For example, could you image having to go to a large library to get the phone numbers of a states fish and game and US fish and game?

His books were gold for those seeking native trout in hard to find locations. Back during his writings many of these species were newly discovered or discovered to be hybridized or discovered to be the only population of this type of fish that was found. Pretty neat stories I thought. As an older writer , he puts things into perspective as one who has seen many changes, so for the good and the bad. I can recount one story where he set off into the Bighorn mountains to search for a cutthroat. During this outing he was standing on a bluff, when he looked down on the bench he saw the bowl outline of many teepees. Upon further investigation, the found a pile of igneous rock used to make arrows with many discarded broken tips. Pretty cool. Since reading that I always thought what it would be like to discover something like that. M.R. like to look for arrowheads. I now stare into piles of rocks looking for arrow shapes but I have never found one. I’ll keep looking. Anyway, thinking I have an idea of what you readers out there would like. You should check him out. I have read the way of the trout and many rivers to cross. Enjoyable.

Wasn’t familiar with this author until a few years ago when another author of “Cutthroat” highly recommend it.

It’s a collection of fly fishing stories of which many are focused on native trout - particularly in the west.

Seems to me many guys over 40-50 would really enjoy his books.

“Maurice R. Montgomery was an American author. He was born in eastern Montana. His works include In Search of L. L. Bean, A Field Guide to Airplanes of North America, Saying Goodbye: A Memoir for Two Fathers, The Way of the Trout, Jefferson and the Gun-Men, and Many Rivers to Cross.”

Back when he was traveling for trout decades ago, his information was gleaned with lotsa leg work. For example, could you image having to go to a large library to get the phone numbers of a states fish and game and US fish and game?

His books were gold for those seeking native trout in hard to find locations. Back during his writings many of these species were newly discovered or discovered to be hybridized or discovered to be the only population of this type of fish that was found. Pretty neat stories I thought. As an older writer , he puts things into perspective as one who has seen many changes, so for the good and the bad. I can recount one story where he set off into the Bighorn mountains to search for a cutthroat. During this outing he was standing on a bluff, when he looked down on the bench he saw the bowl outline of many teepees. Upon further investigation, the found a pile of igneous rock used to make arrows with many discarded broken tips. Pretty cool. Since reading that I always thought what it would be like to discover something like that. M.R. like to look for arrowheads. I now stare into piles of rocks looking for arrow shapes but I have never found one. I’ll keep looking. Anyway, thinking I have an idea of what you readers out there would like. You should check him out. I have read the way of the trout and many rivers to cross. Enjoyable.
I have both those books you mentioned in your last sentence. Re-read Many Rivers to Cross just recently. Liked is writing style and love of native western fish. I'd recommend both those books to anyone interested.

Back