Lyme vaccine study

I had a deer ticket embedded earlier this year, I was quite certain that I picked it up at work and we have been directed to report these incidents as workman's comp claims. I tried as best as I could to get the Dr to give me doxy, but to no avail unless tick was embedded for 36 hour, engorged or clinical symptoms of lymes were present. I talked to the Dr about how there is growing evidence that lymes can transmit faster than that and that other tick borne diseases transmit faster and doxy can be helpful in treating those. This Dr was completely unaware of some of the more recent science and took the time to look it up in my presence. Never the less, I didn't get doxy. Luckily no symptoms either.

I religiously wear treated pants at a minimum in the woods, but it would be nice to find a Dr who will give the prophylactic dose of doxy

This is a valuable thread with info about lyme disease for all to read. Lyme disease is a real threat to many of us that enjoy the outdoors. Some members have chosen to make this a thread about other vaccines which have become controversial in the political world. I edited out that part. I appreciate those board members that tried to avoid adding to this politically charged subject and also those members that tried to "keep it real" with their comments about vaccines. Please do not post anything in this thread other than your own experiences and/or informational material about lyme disease or the vaccine.

Afish - thank you for the editing. I prefer to get my fly fishing info from forums like these and my medical information from Mayo, Hopkins, etc.
Having worked in healthcare and seeing the results of untreated Lyme dz I hope all outdoorsman will take all the preventative precautions available and get treated for any case of suspected Lyme dz.

Interesting.
I always wondered why the old vaccine never took off.

I would take part in this
Bill: years ago my Lyme Dr said the "Story" was there wasn't enough demand for it,but he said is that there were too many negative liver reactions and they just removed it from the market.I have had Lyme several times..as early AS 1990 and my wife has had it too,until recently.Chester County has the highest per capita incidence in the USA(at least it did for many years).The problem with a"Lyme vaccine" is that besides the common bergdorfia..there are several new tick borne diseases that are starting to increase: borrella mayonii, miyamotoi, anaplasmosis to name a a few.
My wife has tested negative for the first time in 6 years by a combo of zithromycin and cefloxin for three months.This also worked on another friend of hers...so maybe there isn't a need for a vaccineif you take the usual precautions of Permethien or deet

Bill: years ago my Lyme Dr said the "Story" was there wasn't enough demand for it,but he said is that there were too many negative liver reactions and they just removed it from the market.I have had Lyme several times..as early AS 1990 and my wife has had it too,until recently.Chester County has the highest per capita incidence in the USA(at least it did for many years).The problem with a"Lyme vaccine" is that besides the common bergdorfia..there are several new tick borne diseases that are starting to increase: borrella mayonii, miyamotoi, anaplasmosis to name a a few.
My wife has tested negative for the first time in 6 years by a combo of zithromycin and cefloxin for three months.This also worked on another friend of hers...so maybe there isn't a need for a vaccineif you take the usual precautions of Permethien or deet
The LYMErix vaccine story:

Short answer…If there’s a new approved vaccine, I will take it. If us as FFers are not high risk, I don’t know who is.

You think lyme is scary, this stuff is much worse and on the rise. Know a guy who got it and he was hospitalized for 3 weeks. They weren't sure if he was going to make it. Flirted with organ failure.

You think lyme is scary, this stuff is much worse and on the rise. Know a guy who got it and he was hospitalized for 3 weeks. They weren't sure if he was going to make it. Flirted with organ failure.
Yes, and also , babesiosis, which is a tick borne ,North American form of malaria.

I was hospitalized for this when my organs started shutting down.
I was fortunate to be close to the hospital of the university of Pennsylvania.
It was a close call.

We should all make ourselves familiar with the symptoms of these tick borne diseases.

A guy in my hunting camp almost died from anaplasmosis. He got sick at camp day before deer season, didn't go hunting first day. Like any tough old timer, he didn't want to go to Dr. Another member was getting worried and took him to er next morning. The hospital said he was only a few hours from organ failure, he was in the hospital for a couple weeks and it took him months to fully recover.

^ Most of these can prevented with a prophylactic dose doxy at the time of removal of an attached tick too. If you find an attached tick call/go to you doctor.

And know the symptoms and that we’re high risk for this stuff. In many cases, especially with nymph stage deer ticks (Spring/early Summer) you don’t find the offending tick because they’re so small.

I’ll add this…I’ve never gotten a tick attached to me while wearing waders. I’ve found them crawling on my waders and flicked them off, but never found one on me. All of my tick attachment encounters have been while hiking or wet wading (with pants on still). I still wet wade on occasion, but typically on bigger waters where I’m in the water all day, and/or later in the Summer when ticks are at their adult stage and easier to identify.

One warm Winter’s day a few years ago I was fishing a small stream in western Perry County and must have gotten into a thicket of them. I flicked off a couple dozen off my waders that day. The stream didn’t have signs of much life (poor geology) and the ticks had me freaked out so I bailed pretty quick.

Posted along the canyon section of Spring Creek:

Back