Lyme vaccine study

K

kbobb

FYI for those interested in participating.

Thanks for posting this. The vaccine looks promising.

Interesting.
I always wondered why the old vaccine never took off.

I would take part in this

That would be great.

I'd consider participating in the trial too. However, there doesn't appear to be information on how to enroll, even on the Pfizer website.

I signed up and was called but the closest site is two hours away and I can’t fit it into my schedule. They said they would call back when/if a closer site opens i
up. I was surprised Geisinger or Hershey werent on the list.

I signed up via their Instagram post.

So we were going to the beach and just as we got there I noticed a tick right on the back of my hand. I ended up scraping it off with my beach tag. It definitely had a hold but it couldn't have been there that long. I never went to the doc. Should I?

Coming from someone who's had Lyme disease twice, I don't know that I'd participate. The first time wasn't pleasant for me and I swear that I suffered some chronic effects. The second time was downright hell and I assure you all that I DID suffer chronic effects and still suffer from some weird stuff that I blame on Lyme. Still, I'm not in a hurry to be someone else's guinea pig and they stopped the first vaccine for a reason. I also had a dog that almost died from a reaction to the early Lyme vaccines.

So we were going to the beach and just as we got there I noticed a tick right on the back of my hand. I ended up scraping it off with my beach tag. It definitely had a hold but it couldn't have been there that long. I never went to the doc. Should I?
Because you were able to scrape if off- and that it wasn't there for long - you're prolly fine.
But I would keep an eye on it for any kind of welt or bullseye.
My understanding is that getting them off within 48 hours should be OK.

Ones I've had imbedded were really hard to remove - using both a tick puller and tweezers.
And I still couldn't get it all out.

Last one I had was buried so hard, that I went to a Medexpress.
The doc there got it out pretty quickly, then gave me a one time dose of doxycycline

My GP said 24 hours for Lyme disease but the CDC says 36 hours:

These went into my daughters Christmas stockings and I never leave home without one:

I have had several embedded in the past year or so. One was only embedded for a few hours at most, one was likely work related and potentially embedded for 24 hrs so I went to the doc. The workman's comp office absolutely refused to give the one time doxycycline does unless the tick was attached for 36 hrs or symptoms of lymes were present.

East Stroudsburg is still testing ticks if you get one. Anymore some of the deer tick virus and powasson virus complications scare me just as much as lymes

Agree it's scary the DTV/Powassan virus carriage rate in the study from Clearfield County was like 80-90%. And this virus only takes minutes to transmit. Haven't read about any cases though. No treatment for this infection.

I forget the details of what exactly happened , but the reason the old Lyme vaccine was some kind of gossip or social media garbage. It wasn't because the vaccine didn't work. It wasn't marketable and was discontinued by the company.
I think of Gandolf the Gray's lament, "Heaven save us from the stubborness of dwarves."
SYL

Agree it's scary the DTV/Powassan virus carriage rate in the study from Clearfield County was like 80-90%. And this virus only takes minutes to transmit. Haven't read about any cases though. No treatment for this infection.
Deer tick virus has been found in ticks at Spring Creek:

I'm going to the canyon section later this week and will all but soak my clothes in permethrin the day before I go.

There is no vaccine for this yet because Lyme disease is a bacterial infection and can be treated with antibiotics. There is a lot more money in antibiotics then there is in bacterial vaccines.

If it was a deer tick (very tiny) and this was within the last few days, yes, go and get a preventative dose of doxycycline. If it was a larger tick, nothing to worry about.

I found out firsthand the 24- or 36-hr rule for deer ticks to transmit the bacteria is bogus. I had a tick on for less than 12 hours and came down with symptoms and a rash within a few days. Treated early, it wasn't a big deal, but it was getting nasty very quickly.

I had it a few years prior to that as well, and that time it took several weeks to develop symptoms. Never had a rash but I could trace the timeline back to a day I had multiple deer tick bites, all removed within 24 hrs.

Last edited:
The first Lyme vaccine was an underperformed with a poor antibody response. We all need to remember we live in an endemic area. One of the highest in the nation. Many people may not even be aware of the tick encounter. We need to be aware of the bullseye at the bite site. Rashes can occur in others areas of the body. Joint pain, chest pain, headache, and facial paralysis have been known to occur related to Lyme disease. This new vaccine is likely several years from the market place.

If it was a deer tick (very tiny) and this was within the last few days, yes, go and get a preventative dose of doxycycline. If it was a larger tick, nothing to worry about.

I found out firsthand the 24- or 36-hr rule for deer ticks to transmit the bacteria is bogus. I had a tick on for less than 12 hours and came down with symptoms and a rash within a few days. Treated early, it wasn't a big deal, but it was getting nasty very quickly.
This mirrors my experience almost to the T. Tick was on somewhere more than 12 and less than 24 hours. Noticed the rash and a low fever, headache/stiff neck a week later. First 48 hours on the doxy was miserable. But then felt better rapidly.

Since then if I find a tick attached, I call my doctor, who knows my outdoor hobbies well, and he calls in a one time double dose of doxy. If they’re still crawling or just beginning to stick I don’t, but for anything embedded I do, and demand the doxy.

If they don’t give it to you, ask the doctor to be sure to document that you found a deer tick embedded in you, asked for a preventative dose of doxycycline, and they said no, in their file, because that’s what you’re documenting in yours. Hopefully they’ll get the point then.

Even if your insurance won’t cover it, ask your doctor to call the prophylactic doxy dose in anyway, and pay for it out of pocket. Doxy is a very very very old medicine and is not expensive, especially just for one or two doses as is prescribed prophylactically. Well worth a couple bucks to nip a potential case of Lyme, or whatever else those sacks of **** carry, in the bud. Doxy is the usual medicine of choice for most early tick related infections other than Lyme too.

Last edited:
I got a deer tick stuck on me at Penn's in June. My friend got it off with his forceps, but it didn't come too easily. It was probably on for 24. Never got a tick up there before but then again, we never hiked up a mountain before. Went to Urgent Care when I got back probably another 24 hours after we pulled it off. I never saw the bullseye or felt bad, but Doc gave me the one-time double dose and no symptoms of any kind. Stay out of the sun for a couple days because Doxy makes you very susceptible to sunburn.

Back