Lycoming/ Loyalsock Creek

Corman58

Corman58

First off... first post for me on the site. Just got into flyfishing this past may and have really enjoyed learning all that i can. Im from the State College area and made my first casts and catches on Penn's Creek with the help of my grandfather teaching me which was an amazing experience.

I live in Williamsport now and have been trying to scout streams and area's that would be good for flyfishing. I went to college in the city and my roommates and i spent most of our time on Little Bear Run. Does anyone have any suggestions for fishing Lycoming creek or Loyalsock creek? Also made a trip up to Pine and Slate as well to scout it out.

Fished the 'sock' once 10-12 years ago. Big stream, nice looking water, saw plenty, caught a few. The thing I remember was a guy netting a 24"-25" fish just as I got to the streambank. Wotlrth exploring....just never got back up that way.

Pine, slate, cedar, big fishing, etc. You got plenty of options not far away.

I'm pretty sure there's a decent stream in your town :p

Yeah I plan on doing a lot of fishing on spring,penns, and fishing creek in Lamar. Also getting ready to get into tying after christmas. Always have been a huge hunter and spin fishing can't believe I missed many years of fly fishing

I loved fishing Grays Run in the winter. Wild browns and brookies with a mix of stockies. Can't go wrong with heavy streamers and San Juan's. Rock Run is a little further up 14. It has a good population of wild browns and also receives stockings. However, rock run is a gorgeous place...pun intended. Tell someone where you go if you go by yourself because cell service stinks. Accidents happen!

Personally I think you're better headed towards Stare College fir every trip.

I like to hit Fishing Creek the Narrows area from Wilpo when I can. That is my Number 1. If you travel up 87 to the Lycoming/Sullivan County line the Delayed Harvest section of the 'sock can be very good there. But not as good as the other streams mentioned above- the Loyalsock is basically put and take.

I'd point it back towards State College like the man says.

corman - I am from Williamsport and travel there often to visit family and fish. I mainly fish the narrows and spring creek though. There is some decent trout fishing on lycoming creek. The lycoming creek anglers club stocks very nice fish in there. There is a section in trout run that is open all year from the bridge at Haleeka campground upstream to the riffles behind the powys bar.

The best fishing on the sock for me has been a place called sandy bottom out route 87, but I haven't fished that in a few years so not sure how it is fishing lately but they do stock a lot of fish there.

Thanks for the tips everyone I have been told Powys curve has some decent trout fishing and I have had luck on rt. 87 on little bear run but the stream is so narrow I'd imagine it would be very challenging on a fly rod gonna put my nose to the trail and scout hard for some spots does the lycomig anglers club have fly tying events ? Trying to get into tying but might be rough starting alone

Check out the Susquehanna Chapter of Trout Unlimited. They might be able to put you on to tying flies. I always found plenty of trout and good hatches on the delayed harvest sections of the Loyalsock and Lycoming Creeks.

I just joined TU this week so i was planning on stopping in at the next meeting and asking around thanks for the idea though

I know the Susquehanna Chapter has run fly-tying classes in Williamsport the last couple of years. Don't know about this year.

Another possibility is the R. B. Winter Chapter in Lewisburg. Their classes begin 1/13 at 7 p.m. at Christ Lutheran Church in Lewisburg. I highly recommend these classes. They are going to provide instruction for both beginner and intermediate level.

Pm sent

Back