Lumbar/Chest Pack suggestions

troutpoop

I'm looking for a medium sized lumbar chest pack. Anyone have any good or bad experiences I should know about? I usually carry two fly boxes and the other assorted tools and gadgets. I don't want or need a full sized vest or monster sized back.

Watch all the manufacture's sites over then next few months. You can usually find something you can live with heavily discounted in the fall.

I'll have my eyes open.

http://www.fishpondusa.com/blueriver.cfm

I have been using this pack for a few years. I like it very much.

I used to have a chest pack but did not like all of my gear in my casting space. I recently switched to the Orvis sling pack. It is a pretty simple pack and it slings around your back so when you don't need access to anything it is behind you. I have been very pleased and the price point is much cheaper than any of the fishpond type packs.

It does not have all the bells and whistles, but it actually forces me to carry less crap with me which I have come to appreciate a few hours into my day. My only wish would be a water bottle sling on the bottom.

I saw the Orvis Pack and the LL Bean pack. Both looked interesting but the Orvis was cheaper. They both look a bit bigger than the lumber packs though?

Over the years, I've had the traditional vest, then to a backpack with front chest packs on each side, then to a Fishpond pack with back and center packs and FINALLY found what works for me. I purchased this and couldn't be happier. It has room for water bottles/coffee thermos and everything else I could possibly want to carry, I can even fit a jacket in there with a few fly boxes. It is a little bigger than some, but it works for me. It can also be worn as a chest pack or sling if I wanted to.

If you're looking for lumbar support, you might want to check out the Havana which is pretty similar to the Blue Water that Bruno referenced. Simms also makes similar packs that are probably worth checking out.

Pittflyguy, add one of these to your sling or even clip it on your belt to carry the water.

Thanks jaybo41. That one looks real nice. I'll try to find one and take a look at it. That may fill the bill.
That's why we read these posts and share our info.

I have used a lumbar pack exclusively for 4+ years. It is an LL Bean model fron the hiking/camping collection. Has 3 sections to hold a bunch of gear, enough room for a packable jacket and sandwich, and 2 water bottle holders. It is made of a heavy duty dark green canvas. It has attachment rings for accessories. Wide and supportive belt, very comfortable. I believe it was $49, much less than "fly-fishing" packs. It has held up beautifully to 150-200 days of action/year.

Look in camping/hiking gear, most likley you'll find something that will suit your needs for less.

here's one i stubmled across, looks interesting, anyone have one?

http://techvest.biz/

jeff

Well, its not a chest pack, but I use a Richardson chest box. Downs makes a similar product, cheaper materials but a lot easier on the pocketbook.

Richardson: http://www.chestflybox.com/
Downs: http://www.chestflybox.net/

I love the similar internet addresses, lol.

Seriously, changing from a vest to this thing was a huge upgrade. You don't put fly boxes in them, it is a wearable fly box. Getting flies out is much, much easier, I went from struggling to find the right system to the perfect system. I paid for it, but it'll last a lifetime, I'll likely never buy a regular fly box again.

There are endless accessories. A leader wallet and floatant holder were musts for me. I hang nippers, thermometer, etc. off the straps on zip lines, and just use a safety pin to attach my license to the back. You can affix magnifying glass and lights if you choose, I do not.

As for the fly holders, you can customize as you choose. Compartments, strip foam, pads, etc. Do one tray one way, the lid another, and the next tray another if you want. I replaced all of my original foam with C&F inserts, and even spaced them as I like to have a streamer area, a midge area, etc.

The shortcomings for me are places to put tippet, shot, car keys, and camera. The camera was especially tricky, I had it velcroed to the front when I took it, but that was too big and it came off, ultimately losing me the camera. My next camera will have to have a better system, maybe a belt pouch or something. I'm sure with the right accessories I could have avoided those hassles. But I just use pants pockets, or on longer trips where I want food/drink, a belt pack.

The downside that I have found with chestpacks is the pack sticking out in front obscuring vision. When wading & hiking/climbing this can be quite a detriment and should be considered.

scotto-good post, I hadn't thought of either of those two things when I switched to a lumbar pack. The last version I had was a backpack/chestpack that had a pack situated in the center of my chest. It was cumbersome at times to cast around, my fly line got caught on it on occasion. That along with the heat got me to switch to a lumbar pack and I doubt I'll go back to anything else. Bottom line as with anything, go with whatever works for you.

pcray1231, I have a "Richardson Chest Box" but I still wear a vest. The chestbox is used only for flies and small tools. I use the front tray for a "Work Station". If I drop something while standing in the middle of the creek it falls in the tray. Seems really handy to me. When I started out flyfishing the friend who was giving me instruction used a "Richardson". He had a "Down's" box and wanted me to give it a try. I did and loved it. Soon thereafter I bought my own "Downs" box. I used it for several years with no problems. A couple of years ago I bought my "Richardson". They are expensive but are wellmade and have a lifetime warranty as does the "Downs". I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Anybody else out there use a "Richardson" or "Downs" chest box?

I do, but put no more than 5 trays. It's a little in the way with any more, this is for the downs on a richardson you could probably fit 6.

I bought the "Downs" with five trays. I fished with it awhile and ended up removing one tray. When I bought the "Richardson" I got it with four trays and it seems just right. They hold ALOT of flies. The advantage with the "Downs" is you can add or subtract trays as you see fit. They are also lighter in weight than the "Richardson". If I had to choose between the two however I would pick the "Richardson". It is a classic example of fine American craftmanship. They are handmade one at a time.

completely agree with you Wild, Down's boxes are just so much cheaper, that was the selling point for me and probably many more.

Nothing wrong with that logic. I agree 100%. They both do the same job. The main reason I bought a"Richardson" was that I worked overtime before I retired. I used my overtime dollars for the purchase. I did'nt feel so bad spending that kind of money then. They are really nice. If you get a chance to buy one in the future, do it you won't regret it. Tight Lines!

I only use chest boxes

the Frye 3 tray-bass
the Richardson-3 tray-trout
the downstream-(8 boxes no more than 4 at one time)-My utility fishing steelhead,shad..etc
the flytedeck 1 tray (16 window box)-brookies

Joe E

I've been diggin' the Fishpond pack Jaybo linked to, except an older version w/ (2) bottle holders on the outside. Very, very versatile pack.

If you're looking to try out a pack w/out spending too
much coin, you can pick up discontinued CloudDevil gear for cheap:

http://www.levelninesports.com/Cloudveil-2010-Salt-River-Lumbar-Pack

Have totally given up the vest.

Only occasionally do I now wear a hip type pack when I'm gonna be gone all day (typically wet wading).

Use a lanyard to hold my tippet,nips,gink,hemos.

Put weight in my waders pocket along with enegy bar,TP,indicators and my camera. I usually take two medium sized fly boxes-either go in my shirt pockets or my rain jackets pockets. Works for me. I will put a water bottle in my waders or a bottle holder on my wading belt.

I think all above suggestions are good but like all gear it really comes down to personal choice. I went through many setups before I settle on this method.

Back