Loyalsock Creek!

I know what Max means about stumbling around at dark. My son, bless his heart, got me a folding wading staff for Christmas. I think it is the best present he ever got me. When I can find a place on the BFO River (big, famous, overfished [LJR]) to squeeze in, the wading staff is a necessity for me to get back across places, esp. at dark.

Night fishing? I used to do a little of it, but I'm too old now. I never got any that were bigger than the ones I caught during the day when I did do it, though I did get some nice ones.

On the Loyalsock topic: I only ever fished there once, and I landed lots of fish -- fallfish. But, having read Lose's book several times, I can only imagine what it once was. 20" brook trout -- wow!

Maxi did your fishing pals use a Black Prince wet fly ? It was a go to on the Delaware back in my time. GG

Gulfgreyhound. To the exact pattern you mentioned. I did not see that one. However, a big black body fly, red hackle tail, red hackle palmer and a red hackle collar tied like you would tie for a soft hackle fly. Collar longer than usual.

Gulf, it is hard to picture this. The bodies on these wets were almost as big as your little finger. So the standard fly hooks were of no use. After tying the body, you did not have enough hook gap.

Funny, one fellow asked me to tie him Rube Wood. I did, he said big, so I tied it big. When I met him, with what I thought was big, He said no, no. Let me show you. Well my big was tiny and his fly was huge.

So i went home and tied them on hooks that I would use for channel catfish. Back then Eagle Claw 180 or 181. I think 1's or 1/0. Big hooks. They liked these hooks because the offset at bend. Another gentleman ordered, Brook Trout Fin wets. Took a while because I had never at that point did wing work like that.

Light Cahill wets, Dark Cahill wets were the standard. Only really big.

I guess 1 1/2 inches long. I got creative. I quit buying those fly shop cards of wool yarn. Did not last long. Started using sleeves of old sweaters, pulling the yarn apart. Now, this time has passed by many years but in my pals fly tying box he still has a half sleeve. We laugh and laugh about it from time to time. We showed em. Hille's did not get all our money!

Art it is always nice to hear from you. Hope you are doing fine. You are one "heck of a good guy". So, Goodgreyhound, take it easy.

Maxima12

If you read Jim Bashlines book on night fishing he talks about a lot of that stuff. Maybe you were making flies and leaders for Jim Bashline? It is a good book.

One for sure of these old boy's are left. The one left is in the process of teaching his grandson. One left lives on the banks of the Sock. Has been long as i have known him.

It takes a certain breed for "Sock" fishing. You don't hear much about it. Wonder why? Maybe all this time, it has been a best kept secret.

Best wat to see sock is by inner tube, canoe. Way too much is hard to get to. Now, for me, that time has passed. When I did, I did it well.

I guess the day I stopped, was the day, I was to lead 10 in canoes down the sock. Rained heavy for a 2 days prior to trip. Checked the stream night before trip. Roaring, Muddy, Banked! Called captain of canoe team, said we can not go, someone will drown. I was told I was a sissy, no guide, I had no idea of how to canoe in high water.

They said, we should have never listened to the advice of the person that recommended you. "We are going", and will never call you again!
They went, to the banks of the "sock". Never put in. Called me in the evening and said, "Sorry you were right". Will you take us again. My answer, Never!

What does this have to do with fishing the "Sock". I think just about everything! The power of the Loyalsock Creek. If you do not respect it, it will sweep you away. And if you respect it, it will sweep you away with its beauty and full bounty!

A man can spend a lifetime on the sock and never fish the same hole! Some of you characters mention "Chas. Lose". I have it, fished some of his holes but he never fished some of mine. Vise versa! You say your good, question, How good! I guess, "how mean are you". how much do you want it! Fish the sock, fish it mean with vengeance! Big one is there,------BIG. An armlength!

My arm I believe is 33, 33 1/2, Biggest was 29. I gave him to my Uncle in Olean N. Y. and he ate him! No picture, no fuss and no muss. I was not fishing to please the world. Just a dinner for a friend! A brown trout!

Now, you don't need to go crazy. Sock dumps into Susquehanna River in Montoursville, I like this area and above 220 bridge where mill Creek dumps. Nice ones .

Mike said infertile, the big ones do not eat size 16 Blue wing olives. I think the key is Big, Bigger and Biggest. For the trophy! Monsters are there, I have seen it.

Well, with that, good luck, I could spend a day or 2 on this. No time! I have another one in mind! Much smaller!

Maxima12

Y'all got me thinking about snorkeling the Loyalsock with an underwater camera.

There has been mine remediation work done in the headwaters so the water quality is much better now than in the past up there. You can see the difference at the Ringdale bridge. The streambed used to be orange there.

Regarding the Sock being infertile, I think that is true from the headwaters down to about Forksville.

At Forksville the Little Loyalsock enters, and that is a fertile stream. And the geology changes around that area. And other fertile tribs come in further down.

I think it's a fertile stream from about Forksville to the mouth. There are smallmouth bass in there. And I've seen heavy hatches. Those aren't characteristic of an infertile stream.

This brings up a question though. Is there a good source online for water paramaters such as pH and alkalinity for PA streams?

troutbert wrote:

This brings up a question though. Is there a good source online for water paramaters such as pH and alkalinity for PA streams?

I think it's called kbob.

by salvelinusfontinalis on 2020/5/24 19:44:04

Y'all got me thinking about snorkeling the Loyalsock with an underwater camera.

Its already been done. Check out Michael Kinney on Facebook. I believe I have his name right. There are without a doubt some giants in the deep bedrock pools. The same can be said for every larger freestoner in NCPA... The challenging part is catching these fish, traditional tactics do not cut it. Although I have yet to try a mono rig and dead drift big wooly buggers along the rock ledges.

Back