Loyalhanna artificial section suggestions?

Steeltrap

Steeltrap

Hello. New to forum and just got back into fly fishing. I just spent the morning fly fishing the artificial lure\fly section of the loyalhanna and I know there are fish in there....I saw 'em!! Plus I saw a guy pull in three in a row but I could not get to him to ask what fly(s) he was using before he left.

What would be a good fly(s) to try? I used the wolly-bugger, both black and green, imitation mill-worm, three minnow imitations, Hare's ear, Green pheasant tail, Copper John, fox-fur nymph. I only had time to fish for about 3 hours.

Any and all help is welcome. BTW.....long time forum "lurker" but decided to join and ask a question. You guys overflow with information.

Thanks.

Green Weenie. Apparently it was invented and developed on the Loyalhanna!

Thanks FF. I have some Imitation inch worms. Never thought of tossing 'em out. I will give them a try on the next go around.

I fish hares ears, buggers ( white or olive/brown), egg patterns, San Juan worms, elk hair caddis, ants both dry and drowned and female Adams parachutes. These typically work well despite tons of guys throwing them. Live 20 minutes from Ligonier.

chartreuse patterns work great - green weenie

Also, I have great success with a size 14 peacock and brown hackle soft hackle pattern dead drifted in the deeper runs.

Ever since that became part of the trophy select waters it's been getting pounded on, day in and out. Those fish have about saw it all. I did good one evening on a Clouser crayfish type streamer there back in April. Ended up with two big steelhead sized rainbows, and three regular sized fish that evening. I've also caught pressured fish there on real small midges and emerger patterns, think size 18-20, drifted a couple feet behind a dry as the dropper. You'll see those big Browns rise and sip something in the surface film but you rarely see much of a hatch coming off. Still haven't figured out exactly what it is they're eating, but I'm guessing it's small.

I think your right about small. I've tossed big at 'em and not had success. It's a matter of small what. On my next outing I'll go with small whatever I have...from the hare's ear to the C-John and from red-Mex-worm to green. Something will work. I'll toss 'em right....I'll toss 'em ugly.....but...at least I'll be tossing!!!

Black ant fished wet will catch trout almost anywhere now, especially on sunny days with a little wind. 16-18 is plenty small enough.

Back