Lower Yough

D

DRFAS

Any word on fly fishing the lower Yough anywhere from Sutersville downstream to Greenock ??? Would like to take the canoe on it's maiden float trip this weekend...

FAS

DRFAS,
Have you checked the Professional Stream Reports section? There are a ton of reports and updates on the Yough from Youghriverguide. Much of this is trout fishing but he does report on bass fishing and lower river conditions.

This might be the closest gage to that area.

gage

And the gage looks like its dropping pretty good but keep an eye on the rain. Also something to consider if the water released from the dam gets increased.

dam gage

Fishidiot... Thanks.. I check that report on a frequent basis but I don't think Ernie from YoughRiverGuide spends much time that far downstream.. Hopefully someone will check in before we head there this Saturday but if not, so be it...

FAS

I typically wade fish Dawson to Smithton for smallies. Overall, that section has fished well this year but I haven't been on the river for a couple of weeks.

I can give some general information. Typically this time of year mid-river structure holds the best fish. Side channels and sloughs through grass islands have produced for me at dawn and early morning. Always work around logs, large rocks, bridge abutments, etc. especially if they are in the main channel.

I am partial to poppers, but for whatever reason, I've had much better fishing with crayfish imitations, clousers and buggers this year on the Yough.

Hope that helped and wasn't a "dah" for you. Good fishing.

I will be down there this weekend. You might see me slinging a popper around!! This will be my first time fishing the yough and I am looking forward to it.

Back