Low Flights Over PA Wilds

klingy

klingy

The Maryland Air National Guard is requesting permission to conduct training flights that would dive as low as 100 ft in altitude over some of the wildest parts of PA. Mostly using A-10s now, but F-35s are not out of the question in 5-10 years. Nothin’ like a relaxing morning on the stream!

they have been doing it off and on for years up here.
I agree. I was on Penns one March a few years back and a big something or other came flying in over the mountains low and scared the crap out of me. I guess when they are that low, it's harder to hear them coming in.

Hunting deer at Indiantown Gap was always exciting. If you were on a tall ridge they often flew below you. Great to see. Loved it.

I had two A-10s fly over me above tree top level in Perry Co once. Darn near lost my s___. My buddy still tells the story 40 years later.

Have definitely heard military aircraft over the NCPA wilds, but they were never all that low.

It’s a regular occurrence as mentioned around FIG. Mostly choppers, but occasionally planes too.

Train like you fight. Fight like you train.

I was on Penn's, quite alone, and heard a noise that sounded like a freight train coming my way. I had a moment to realize there are no more trains on Penn's. I looked up and saw a HUGE military transport plane tearing through the air, maybe 200 feet above.

Think there were times fishing on Clarks where you could also hear rocket barrages of some sort. #merica

Think there were times fishing on Clarks where you could also hear rocket barrages of some sort. #merica
Dear McSneek,

That might have been me after a night of beer and chicken wings! ;)

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Yeah the floor right now is 8,000 ft. The new floor will be 100 ft.

Dear Board,

Not long after I got out of the USAF my brother Terry and I were on Fishing Creek in the Narrows. I heard something coming and knew from my days on the flightline exactly what it was.

Sure enough, two A-10's were flying directly down the Narrows at a sphincter clinching height, for the pilots. It was nothing for me, an F4 radar tech. I heard and felt real roars every day!

But on the overall post. It is what it is. Pilots deserve to train in all scenarios.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Yeah, the warthogs are a regular visitor at camp on the Sinnemahoning. Did see a big transport like Jack mentioned last time, too .

Dear Board,

I lived on the Susquehanna River in Windsor NY when a KC-135 flew at treetop level right down the river. I could smell the JP-4. Literally, everybody in town was talking about it, Windsor is a small town. ;)

It was never confirmed, but I KNOW what I saw!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Small price to pay for FREEDOM,
I would rather see them flying over the Northern Tier than on TV in a foreign land or during war.
Or over my house. Fly away over the PA wilds, I won’t lose any sleep over it.

There is already a lot of commercial air travel over my tree stands. So I probably won't notice. And they need to do what they need to do

Back