Lots of new pending "Class A" streams added 6/6/16

I would LOVE to hear what the surveyed biomass was for BE Creek in Clinton. That is BIG water there. More like a small river. You would think that if there was a class A trout pop in there it wouldn't be a secret.

Send an email to the AFM.

Zak wrote:
I would LOVE to hear what the surveyed biomass was for BE Creek in Clinton. That is BIG water there. More like a small river. You would think that if there was a class A trout pop in there it wouldn't be a secret.

Like I said there are NO trout except directly where Fishing Creek dumps in. I practically lived on lower Bald Eagle Creek when I was a kid. Whoever even thought of doing a survey on Bald Eagle Creek in Clinton County was completely wasting their time. I hope they weren't paid to do that survey.

Maybe they meant to add the section below Spring Creek? Which I also never fished, so idk what that population is like either

Again, Class A designation is not a testament to fishing quality. It is an indication of water quality, and if I am thinking about this correctly, the protection that the designation affords extends well above and below a surveyed location (ie headwaters and adjacent streams).

Streams on the list are designated by the county of the mouth, NOT necessarily the county where the potential Class A section is located.
Read the first column"s header on the candidate list provided by the op.

Mike wrote:
Streams on the list are designated by the county of the mouth, NOT necessarily the county where the candidate Class A section is located.
Read the first column"s header on the candidate list provided by the op.

This is important and causes confusion on the matter of streams with Natural Repro.

This is especially true when the discussion blends with the topic of Class A (as so often happens) because the Class A list reflects county where the section is located rather than the county where the mouth of the waterway is located, which can be far downstream of wild trout habitat.

sarce wrote:
Maybe they meant to add the section below Spring Creek? Which I also never fished, so idk what that population is like either

That would be Center County...not Clinton

no sense arguing about it, if Glade Squires gets in, he'll abolish the class A system, stock everything, and we can all fish the trout rodeo!!!!

Well Bald Eagle Creek in Clinton County doesn't get any stocking (because its not a trout stream) so if Glade Squires gets in and wants to stock it by all means he can. Might as well just stock the Susquehanna while at it!

John I've caught trout in eagleville below where marsh dumps in there's trout in there just not high number and most are big. No way in hell its anywhere close to class A water though.

Hook_Jaw again that is Center County NOT Clinton County...in the summer time you will not catch trout there.

The Class A survey was below Eagleville, in Clinton County. Survey date was early June, although I'm not sure if that was the first or second survey. Bald Eagle is the kind of transitional water that could hold a number of large browns, although I find it hard to wrap my head around it holding enough biomass for it's width to reach Class A status. But, the bedrock is the Keyser formation, which is limestone, so the potential for some spring seeps certainly exists.

My family has fished bald eagle since the 70's Ive seen many trout caught in there and below where beech creek dumps in and that's clinton county there's trout in there and they can be caught in the summer. They don't call lower penns creek trout water either and we catch big trout down there. As far as being a trout stream could see how it would not be called that.

PFBC is doing a great job with this program IMHO. Personally, I greatly prefer fishing over wild trout, and it is fun to explore these streams. Sometimes I confess they seem utterly devoid of salmonids but I attribute that to my angling skills, or more precisely the lack thereof.

Is there a specific reason why they want to designate unnamed tributaries as Class "A" streams? Environmental protection?

I kind of feel like that should be a "let sleeping dogs lie" situation. UNTs are usually pretty small - and inherently frail. it would be nice if they were kept out of public eye

Is there a specific reason why they want to designate unnamed tributaries as Class "A" streams? Environmental protection?

Yes, getting streams listed as either Wild Trout or Class A designated waters then allows them further protections as either cold water fisheries or possibly upgraded to exceptional value streams which grants these waters many more protections than if they're just left on the books as some unnamed tributary.

tomitrout wrote:

Yes, getting streams listed as either Wild Trout or Class A designated waters then allows them further protections as either cold water fisheries or possibly upgraded to exceptional value streams which grants these waters many more protections than if they're just left on the books as some unnamed tributary.

Just curious who is protecting them and protecting them from what? I agree that naming these small streams can draw attention to them and allow them to get a lot more fishing pressure and harvesting since none of these streams will have any special regulations OR anyone there to really enforce them either.

Here's some light reading for you:

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/025/chapter93/chap93toc.html

Basically, Water quality standards are enforced by the DEP, HV & EV designations give those waters greater protections from development, withdrawals, dumping, etc....and if you read the fine print, streams need to be Class A to rise to HV or EV status.

Getting these streams listed offers them much more protections than just letting them be and remaining under the radar, there's more to it than just our fishing experiences.

Back