Lost: Pentax Camera @ Penn's Creek C&R 5/21/2024

B

brookieteeth

Tackled by a >600cfs Penn's run back in May that laid me out full-length and it took me about 20 yards to get my footing and make it to shore. When I got to bankside and laid everything out to dry, I realized that my waterproof camera was gone, back there in the rapids. Exact location: above the C&R parking lot and below the meadow. Somewhere in the upper part of the long run downstream from that pool with the big tree, the one that's fed by the braids. There's a sloping path leading down to the pool and the run just below the tail of the pool.

Usually a safe place to ford, or wade and fish. But Penn's just snuck up on me and fooled me into thinking that it was wadeable that day because I could see to the bottom, and it was a nice warm late spring day. I got about halfway out, and realized that the water was really pushing. It did not get easier after that until I rode the riptide, angling downstream toward the shore. Yeah, angling.

(I was wet wading, which made it easier to manage. As for the poison ivy, that's another story.)

. Now the water is low enough that it can be waded safely, and the camera might be seen, and found. In what shape, I can't say. But if anyone has any news at all about it, feel free to let me know. A little point and shoot black box with a glass screen.

Back