Lost fly box on Penns Creek near Cherry Run and some lessons learned

M

Mfuddy

I lost my fly box last night crossing the Penns creek near cherry run. it is a blue clear on both sides box with about 200 dry flies in it. I am hoping if anyone finds it, then can return it. By the way how I lost it, I slipped on a rock and fell in I try to dive for it but missed, my waders filled up enough to make walking tough. I did bring a life preserver for around my waist and was glad I had it if I needed it. Also from now on I will make sure I have studs on my boots. Also glad I was with someone else, walking at night on the creek. Flies were in full force last evening did well on Caddis emergers before evening hatch then sulfurs were out but couldn’t catch any on them, I caught a couple on Cahills, then looked like slate drakes, and caught couple on them, before switching to the yellow female green drakes. We had a blast! if it wasn’t for my lost fly box!

Good luck. I hope you had your address on it. Ninety-nine out of a hundred sportsmen will mail it back to you. Don't give up.

Glad you only lost a fly box and nothing more serious.

I put a label on every one of my fly boxes with my name and phone number. Paid dividends once or twice over the years, mostly from me not fully zippering my sling before sending it around to my back.

Someone - I think here - suggested using one of the hundreds of return address labels that everyone else gets from TU or FOP or ASA or whatever else.

Glad you only lost a fly box and nothing more serious.

I put a label on every one of my fly boxes with my name and phone number. Paid dividends once or twice over the years, mostly from me not fully zippering my sling before sending it around to my back.

Someone - I think here - suggested using one of the hundreds of return address labels that everyone else gets from TU or FOP or ASA or whatever else.
That's what I use. I put them inside so they don't rub off.

Mfuddy, sorry you lost a fly box, full of flies. Been there, done that. I also see that you are a new member. Please note that there is also a Lost and Found forum on this website. You might want to post this there as well. General forum likely gets more attention, but never hurts to put it in both places.

I hope you get your fly box back .... I have a good feeling about you getting it returned.

You may have already been using a wading staff .... but if you don't have one, that's also what you need - it's critical. especially on water like Penn's. I use a Folstaff ... it has served me well and kept me out of trou ble. I'm on the Beaverkill right now for rest of this week ... I would not go anywhere near that river without my staff.

Good luck on the box ...

Mfuddy, sorry you lost a fly box, full of flies. Been there, done that. I also see that you are a new member. Please note that there is also a Lost and Found forum on this website. You might want to post this there as well. General forum likely gets more attention, but never hurts to put it in both places.
Thanks! Will do

I hope you get your fly box back .... I have a good feeling about you getting it returned.

You may have already been using a wading staff .... but if you don't have one, that's also what you need - it's critical. especially on water like Penn's. I use a Folstaff ... it has served me well and kept me out of trou ble. I'm on the Beaverkill right now for rest of this week ... I would not go anywhere near that river without my staff.

Good luck on the box ...
Yeah i Definately Should have had that with me too, my brother had his with. He didn’t fall in.

I lost a fly box once....and never again. I attach a lanyard to each of my fly boxes and attach it with heavy-duty Velcro. Never lost another once since.....

I lost my fly box last night crossing the Penns creek near cherry run. it is a blue clear on both sides box with about 200 dry flies in it. I am hoping if anyone finds it, then can return it. By the way how I lost it, I slipped on a rock and fell in I try to dive for it but missed, my waders filled up enough to make walking tough. I did bring a life preserver for around my waist and was glad I had it if I needed it. Also from now on I will make sure I have studs on my boots. Also glad I was with someone else, walking at night on the creek. Flies were in full force last evening did well on Caddis emergers before evening hatch then sulfurs were out but couldn’t catch any on them, I caught a couple on Cahills, then looked like slate drakes, and caught couple on them, before switching to the yellow female green drakes. We had a blast! if it wasn’t for my lost fly box!
Everything on or in my chest pack that I don't want to lose is on a zinger. Everything. Sorry for you loss.

I hope you get your fly box back. I know the feeling. I tied up over 100 dry flies for my Montana trip a few years ago. I was fishing the Madison(favorite stream) and when I reached for my dry fly box after nymphing for a while, I realized it came out of my vest at some point. I felt sick...then I looked around and realized that I was in a beautiful place with beautiful fish and a couple of my good buddies...life wasn't so bad. Im glad I brought some tying materials with me.

I hope you get your fly box back. I know the feeling. I tied up over 100 dry flies for my Montana trip a few years ago. I was fishing the Madison(favorite stream) and when I reached for my dry fly box after nymphing for a while, I realized it came out of my vest at some point. I felt sick...then I looked around and realized that I was in a beautiful place with beautiful fish and a couple of my good buddies...life wasn't so bad. Im glad I brought some tying materials with me.
Smart move. Positive and thankful thoughts always win out.

If you give me a more detailed location, I'll send my son to look for it. (we are close to Cherry Run)

Back