Losing Fish on the Surface

jarebearbinks

The last couple outings I have had brookie fishing I have lost numerous fish on dries after they go into a crazy flop on the surface upon setting the hook. I use barbless hooks and always try to keep a good amount of tension. For whatever reason these fish aren't trying to fight back under the water they just go nuts on the surface popping the hook out.

Is it just a lost cause when they decide to do this or is there something I could be doing wrong? Too much tension? Sometimes pulling the rod tip down gets them under the water and its business as usual.

Any advice much appreciated!

I think sometimes the hook just doesn’t catch the mouth structure all that well. It’s more noticeable in rainbows and brookies bc their mouths are softer than the tougher bonier mouths of browns. They’re also generally very small. Fish smaller flies or using more of a comp style barbless hook (as opposed to one you just mashed the barb on) could help. Or it might just be the luck of the draw.

The last couple outings I have had brookie fishing I have lost numerous fish on dries after they go into a crazy flop on the surface upon setting the hook. I use barbless hooks and always try to keep a good amount of tension. For whatever reason these fish aren't trying to fight back under the water they just go nuts on the surface popping the hook out.

Is it just a lost cause when they decide to do this or is there something I could be doing wrong? Too much tension? Sometimes pulling the rod tip down gets them under the water and its business as usual.

Any advice much appreciated!
Try setting the hook by moving your rod parallel to the waters surface and then fight the fish with the rod in a low near parallel position. This keeps the fish lower in the water column, and helps to reduce the hook pulling when they fight on the surface.

Good advice so far. Add to grey wolf's recommendation to strike downstream if the fish is facing upstream to try and get the corner. I almost always pull the fly out of fish's mouth striking straight up on a short line.

Try setting the hook by moving your rod parallel to the waters surface and then fight the fish with the rod in a low near parallel position. This keeps the fish lower in the water column, and helps to reduce the hook pulling when they fight on the surface.
I figured this was my best bet. I had a few that I used this technique but they still thrashed the hook out. Can’t land them all. As long as I’m doing all I can. Thanks!

If legal where you're fishing, you can try a barbed hook to see if you're stinging the fish in the first place. If barbed hooks come unbuttoned, you may be striking too soon and need to take 1/10 second pause.

If legal where you're fishing, you can try a barbed hook to see if you're stinging the fish in the first place. If barbed hooks come unbuttoned, you may be striking too soon and need to take 1/10 second pause.
Now that you say that. I might be jumping the set by just a little bit. The problem is I keep pinning them on the surface. Giving them that extra pause might allow them to get under.

Sling them up quickly onto the bank.
In all seriousness, I have encountered this before as brookies do have that thrashing, shaking way of fighting. If they are all small fish, I wouldn't worry about it. Less fish to be handled.
This post reminds me I really haven't caught any brookies for quite a while. The last two swallowed the dry and I haven't fished specifically for them since. Still, I need to get back out.

Sling them up quickly onto the bank.
In all seriousness, I have encountered this before as brookies do have that thrashing, shaking way of fighting. If they are all small fish, I wouldn't worry about it. Less fish to be handled.
This post reminds me I really haven't caught any brookies for quite a while. I need to get out.
I agree, if the small ones get off, no problem. What bothers me is I keep losing the bigger ones shaking off. But you roll that dice when fishing small streams. Never know what the fish is going to do. I had a big brown (or so I think) jump entirely out of the water for my dry fly and then shoot down stream under a logjam in a blink of an eye. Nothing I could do unfortunately.

Get out on the water sir!

Back