Losing Fish on the Surface

jarebearbinks

The last couple outings I have had brookie fishing I have lost numerous fish on dries after they go into a crazy flop on the surface upon setting the hook. I use barbless hooks and always try to keep a good amount of tension. For whatever reason these fish aren't trying to fight back under the water they just go nuts on the surface popping the hook out.

Is it just a lost cause when they decide to do this or is there something I could be doing wrong? Too much tension? Sometimes pulling the rod tip down gets them under the water and its business as usual.

Any advice much appreciated!

I think sometimes the hook just doesn’t catch the mouth structure all that well. It’s more noticeable in rainbows and brookies bc their mouths are softer than the tougher bonier mouths of browns. They’re also generally very small. Fish smaller flies or using more of a comp style barbless hook (as opposed to one you just mashed the barb on) could help. Or it might just be the luck of the draw.

The last couple outings I have had brookie fishing I have lost numerous fish on dries after they go into a crazy flop on the surface upon setting the hook. I use barbless hooks and always try to keep a good amount of tension. For whatever reason these fish aren't trying to fight back under the water they just go nuts on the surface popping the hook out.

Is it just a lost cause when they decide to do this or is there something I could be doing wrong? Too much tension? Sometimes pulling the rod tip down gets them under the water and its business as usual.

Any advice much appreciated!
Try setting the hook by moving your rod parallel to the waters surface and then fight the fish with the rod in a low near parallel position. This keeps the fish lower in the water column, and helps to reduce the hook pulling when they fight on the surface.

Back