LOOP...

M

Meangreenstick

what is everyones opinion on LOOP products.....give comparisons between then and now if possible because i know they have made some internal and distributing changes..........

there marketing looks more cutting edge and new age than everyone elses....does their product stand up?

Oooooooook.......

I've only ever seen the stuff online...perhaps that is others experience as well...who knows. Sorry, wish I could help.

I am with Tomgambler, haven't had any experience.

I still have and fish an old original Loop 2W Traditional. That particular reel takes getting used to and is more of a palming reel. The drag is, more or less, an over-run control. Poor start up inertia. Well built but mine soon will need all 6 bearings. I'm having a tough time locating service/parts.
I have friends who have fished the Evotecs for kings. From what I remember, the LW version spool bent easily. The HD version is a fine reel and built tough enough to handle large fish along with a few drops and mishaps.

tomgamber wrote:
no "L"

It must be christmas time...Tom is singing again! :)

Never heard of LOOP i thought you meant LOON. They make some pretty good stuff.

I am familiar with Loop before the split with Danielsson Innovation back in 2004. The Danielsson reels were the first (and IMHO still the best) modern large arbor reels. Dano, I am surprised at your comment of poor startup inertia with your Traditional reel. My 1.5 and Dry Fly Trads have 0 startup. I think a tuneup is in order. Loop do not handle warranty or parts for the Danielsson-made reels. I'm afraid parts/ warranty will have to be handled by Dani in Sweden until an U.S. network is established. The weakness of the Traditionals is the exposed bearing surfaces. These must be kept anally clean. One grain of sand will cause major problems. If the bearing races on the spool are showing lots of metal, you may be SOL and may need a new spool. I would also recommend new wheels (as debris tend to imbed in the plastic) and new roller bearings.

The new Loop seem to have a strong marketing plan and are attempting to re-enter the US market. They are (were) a sponser of the AEG Trout Bum Diaries Tour. I believe their rods and reels are now made in Korea (under Loop supervision).

"Dano, I am surprised at your comment of poor startup inertia with your Traditional reel. My 1.5 and Dry Fly Trads have 0 startup. I think a tuneup is in order. "

Allegheny,
Yes, all 6 roller bearings need replaced and yes, it only takes a grain of sand to kill the start up. But its still working.

And yes. I do need a new spool. I'm not only showing metal on the outer race but also grooving. I had to resurfaced some years ago but now, with the grooving, its time for a new spool. I've been trying to get rollers for the past 3 years.

The Serial # is 660.
I can't remember what year I bought it but back then, Loop was the only large arbor reel that I ever saw. It was on an episode of In-Fisherman and they were fishing for northers. I was completely sold on the attributes of the LA. I just had to have one. But, finding one was a chore. It took some time. I didn't have the internet then.
The reel has served me well all these years and has landed its share of salmon and steelhead.

http://danielsson-flyreels.ehandel.net/sv/article/108/paket_lophjul_stora

this is what i got when i emailed loop service. I too am looking for wheel and bearing sets for a 1.5w. i hope i can decifer this site and order a new set.

hope it helps you out as well

Back