Loop Dubbing tool

T

tracker12

Looking to pick up a loop dubbing tool. Doesn't lok there is much to the different ones but thought I would inquire. Is there a difference in them. If so any recommendations?

I have one somewhere, but prefer to just use the hook part of my whip finisher. I use my finger tip to keep the loop open. Might be worth a shot before you decide to spend money on a unitasker.

You have one already, just bend a paper clip around.

I've got three different ones, now.

suregrip-dubbing-loop-tool.jpg

One is a basically a bodkin style holder with the wire bent into sort of a Y shape, two loops on the end. It was cheap. It sucks. I never, never use it.

4249659364_98ffa2e90a.jpg

Then, I replaced it with a model featuring a big brass base, and two very fine wire hooks that come up and criss-cross over. You thread the loop through, then spin. The wires are very thin, very springy and will close up. Meh. Spending money with one that's got a handle and the base on a bearing would've been better. But, I still would've bought the third style...

knobinuse.jpg

Finally, I've got the one that I watched Gary Border use. Its the same heavy brass base, but with a single stout hook. Slip into the loop, and let it hang. Use the fingers to hold the loop open, insert material, then close it and clamp between fingertips. Spin the base. Spin it more. One more time, then release your clamped fingers and it instantly spins up the loop tight.

wsender wrote:
You have one already, just bend a paper clip around.

I got real fancy and put the bent paper clip in a small wooden dowel. Now I can twist it real quick with two hands!!

I like the weighted ones so I bend a paperclip and used two magnets to pinch the clip and add some weight.

I like the ones with the W shape/double hook to hold the dubbing loop open. I find it easier than using a single hook one and holding it open with my finger. Your mileage may vary.

Either way, you can form it out of wire (paper clip, brass wire, baling wire - anything you can bend) and add some sort of weight to hold it down. Be sure to deburr the end of the wire so it doesn't cut your thread. Used a homemade one for years until a machinist buddy of mine made a nice one as a gift. Works the same, but the machined ones are better balanced and spin more smoothly.

When using a dubbing loop be sure to keep the top part of the loop tight so that when you slide material up it is wedged in and stays. Here is what I do. Form a loop with the tool hanging down and wrap twice around the hook so the loop length stays put with the tool weight on it. Then take two turns around the loop just below the hook to close it and take two more turns around the hook to lock it. Now you've formed a wedge so when you put material in the bottom of the loop and slide it up it stays there.

They're neat little tools. Mine has a few different heads on it and was only about $10 for everything. As cool as they are, they're of little use to me except for streamers and the largest of nymphs.

Never took to dubbing loops do all mine with the thread and dubbing pinched between my thumb and first two fingers. Bought a few tools over the years just never used em much.

gfen
I personnally like the one you settled on but I guess until you use the tool you never know. I'm not much on making mine on tools except for the cork bodkin that I made. Gues I'll search around and see what's out there.

Back