Looking for trout streams and creeks

JVenezia

JVenezia

I am looking for good spots around Lancaster within 20 miles. Wanting to land more that suckers and smallies. I have tried a few smaller streams in the are but, am looking for some help with hopefully better trout populations.I am not asking for anyone's secret spot.. Just wanting to get some ideas of goo water somewhat near by.
Respond here or feel free to PM me....

I guess I am mainly looking for access points. I have the GPS fishing guide but, that constantly drops me within the area but, no real access. any help is appreciated.

Which version of the GPS guide do you have. On the smaller streams, there is often not clear cut access. If you have the smartphone version with a map, it's much easier to explore once you get there because you see the streams on the map.

I have the Garmin type for my vehicle...

WOW the android version looks great...
Wish I wasn't Financially Challenged right now or wish I would have known of the newer versions when I had bought what I have currently......
Might you happen to need a field tester for the android version... ??
LOL

JVenezia wrote:
I guess I am mainly looking for access points. I have the GPS fishing guide but, that constantly drops me within the area but, no real access. any help is appreciated.

Why not get in your car and do some exploring?

There are a lot of spots in Lancaster Co but they fly under the radar (or, like many of us, you can learn to love smallmouth bass - but that's another topic).
Keep in mind, many of us old timers who started fishing before the internet and before the stream guide books for PA were published wanted spots too. Here's how we did it: got in our car, or bicycle, and drove around with a county map and sometimes knocked on doors. The best way to find local spots was to visit the local fly shop or bait and tackle store and, after a modest purchase of some stuff, ask around - or better yet, chat up the locals at the shop or TU meeting and, if you were willing to share a spot with them, they'd share some with you. Sure, money and time is tight. It was for us when we were young too.
Exploring and paying your dues are part of the mystique and tradition of the outdoor sports.

Dear fishidiot,

+1 for your answer

I fished the Swattie yesterday with a rod and reel that I bought with paper route money in 1974 after paying for it weekly while it sat on layaway at Woolworth's. I rode my bike everywhere to fish after I got a really good ultra light rod and reel.

It isn't a fly rod but I felt a bit like a kid again catching rock bass and green sunfish and pumpkinseeds. I had enough fun that I've convinced the girl friend that we are going to wade fish the Swattie next weekend and I'm going to fish the Fenwick Flea and the Mitchell 408 again and take whatever I get and enjoy it.

I don't think I'll be riding a bicycle to go fishing this time though? I'd have to have an Amishman make me some steel tires if I wanted to ride a bike again as big and fat as I am!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

While I will not tell you to not buy the Android version, a little homework will solve your problem. You obviously have a computer.

Google maps terrain view. You're car GPS version can tell you the streams, as can the fish commission lists which are publicly available on their website. Once you know a stream name, open google maps, put it on terrain view, and find said stream. Toggle back and forth to satellite view when needed. Generally the steeper part of streams on the topo are better. Look for possible access points from nearby roads. Public land access is a big plus (green on terrain view).

JVenezia wrote:
I am looking for good spots around Lancaster within 20 miles. Wanting to land more that suckers and smallies. I have tried a few smaller streams in the are but, am looking for some help with hopefully better trout populations.I am not asking for anyone's secret spot.. Just wanting to get some ideas of goo water somewhat near by.
Respond here or feel free to PM me....

Good luck with that. You can find some little native brookies and wild browns in the northern part of Lancaster County but finding decent trout fishing, especially at this time of year within a 20 mile radius is going to be tough. Lancaster is not exactly blessed with a lot of trout water no matter what time of year.

In the meantime, feel free to pm any decent smallmouth locations you've found and I'll take over for you. :)

Get the Charlie Meck book titled 'PA Trout Streams and their Hatches'

That will be more than enough to get you started anywhere in the state

I took you to what I believe is northern Lanc's best stream already, JVenz (not the small trib, but the stream we fished on at the end of the day). You gotta hoof it upstream a bit, or park further up the dirt rd, but that stream produces some very sizeable natives. You already know Lititz Run too. Difficult stream to fish, but if you crack it's code, you'll have a good time. Very different from the freestoners I took you to in May.

Thank you for the idea. That sounds like a good plan/recipe for finding locations and access points....

I have found two spots holding good Smallmouth populations.

Chiques Rock Day use area right outside of Marietta.

Norristown Farm Park... Norristown State Hospital.

Back