Looking for sweet cased caddis pattern

drews

drews

Anyone have an idea where I can find a cased caddis pattern???thanks

I was taught the Rene Harroup cased caddis. [d]No picture[/d] I found a picture of someone else's tie I don't make them because [d]its too much work for me[/d] i'm super lazy, but its a pretty sweet looking fly:

Hook: TMC 200R
Thread: Brown
Case: Turkey tail fibers over brown dubbing
Rib: Copper wire
Legs: Black CDC fibers (Butt ends)
Abdomen: Caddis Green dubbing
Thorax: Black dubbing

Tying Instructions:
• Lay down a base of thread to a point above the hook barb.
• Tie in a piece of copper wire on top of the hook shank.
• Tie in several barbules from a turkey tail feather. Tie these in at the same point as the wire.
• Dub an under-body using brown dubbing such as hare’s ear. The dubbing should go about half way on the shank.
• Wrap the turkey fibers over the dubbing as you would for a pheasant tail nymph body.
• Counter wrap the copper wire forming a rib.
• Next dub some caddis green in front of the turkey. This will simulate the caddis larvae peeking out of the case.
• In front of the green tie in some black CDC butt fibers. Tie them so they extend out to the sides of the shank.
• Now form the thorax/head using black dubbing. Figure 8 the dubbing around the legs.
• Whip finish the head, add lacquer.
• Trim the legs to length.

Those were the instructions in a class room handout.
Meat%20Whistle%20and%20Group%20shots%20059.jpg

Hey thanks...I like the looks of that one and seem to have everything but a black bead. Think a gold bead will hurt? May just try the old sharpie on the bead...thanks again.

http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/Open-Forums/Fly-Tying/Cased-Caddis-Pattern-/5,11761,0,0,0,0,ASC.html This is from last Spring. It was a good thread so I bookmarked it.

A little help: The link won't owrk properly, not sure why, any ideas?

drews..........Google or search in you tube , Strawman , it a deer hair cased caddis imitation that has been around since dirt. This is a sore subject for me as where i fish it is LOADED with what the locals call stickbugs , they are cased caddis , probably of the grannom ilk. On the streams there they seem to pile up in the slow water eddies and swirls , the backwaters. If you look closely at these piles , they are all slowly moving most of the time , you have to look close but if you do you will see what i mean , they slowly crawl around and adjust to the little bit of current , but they stay pretty much in piles. I have spent thousands or millions of hours (never did the math) of hours just observing trout and what they do. I can have a great time just sitting watching a trout and i do that often. In all the hours i've spent looking at trout and troutstreams i've NEVER seen one trout eat one of these. I don't think they do eat them at that particular stage and i challenge anyone to prove me wrong. Now having said that i want to also say that they may eat cased caddis immediately prior to emergence but not when they are piled up in the eddies which is most of their life. There are two streams i fish that have two different types of these , one of them they use mostly sticks and leaf bits and the other they use gravel/pebbles to make their case. NEVER saw a trout eat one.

Try to use the URL button in the editokr instead:
Tuna's link.

I didnot follow the links posted above, however the pattern I resently learned and tie is ment to immitate specifically the grannom that frequents the PA streams with quite abundance. They are the ones that build the box case.

It is tied backwards in the sence that the head is where the tail normally is.

Hook: Any caddis/ nymph hook. 14-16
Body: Peacock Herl
Hackle: Ginger Badger
Tail: caddis green antron melted with a lighter to for black head.

Note: After the fly is tied trim the hackle in the tapering box shape.

I also stomp it in the mud when i am stream side and i think that gives it a bit more of a natural look.

I tie one like gfen's post with turkey, but mine's thicker.

I also tie with the real cases. Just scoop them up through out the year and spray them with spray adhesive; slide them over the hook.

I've even extracted live caddis out of their cases. Just poke gently with a small stick and out the wiggle. I don't do this anymore though. I'd rather them hatch and get hit by a windshield.

That was a good thread Tuna... I tie a few patterns from there now.

One question for your entomologists... what color do they exit the casing from when they're ready to hatch? Is it the bright green color, or do they darken up?

I want to fish some wets this year before the hatch and need to tie some up accordingly.

TUNA

I tried to paste this in a new browser...I cant get it to open either...

Also to the others who have suggested that trout dont eat these...I have see them in their mouths. Perhaps I was mistaken and do not claim to know much...but seems they eat them to me...

i use this one for the small cased caddis;

Attachments

• cased caddis.JPG
    cased caddis.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 3
osprey wrote:
I don't think they do eat them at that particular stage and i challenge anyone to prove me wrong.

Google cased caddis in trout's stomach

I've used a stomach pump a few times, and throughout the year Trout will eat Cased Caddis. I'm not sure why they would eat the case, but after all we are dealing with something that has a brain the size of a Peanut M&M (although it can seem larger at times). I would say that over the next 3 months I will have on some sort of Cased Caddis, Larva, or Pupa pattern about 90% of the time.

The version I tie has a Pheasnt Tail "case" with either a Black or Gold/Brass rib. I then use Chartruse Chenille for the body, sometimes leaving a tag end out that I either burn or paint Black with a Sharpie. If I don't use the tag end, I'll throw on a Black Tungsten bead with maybe a few wraps of Black of Grizzly Hackle. They work well throughout the year, but from mid February to May they work even better.

I like the cased caddis patterns that were shown but instead of using PT or turkey for the case, try wrapping moose mane. I think if more closely resembles the meticulously placed sticks the caddis uses. For the grannom that is. Coat the moose mane with Sally Hansen's for durability.

Why do they eat corn?

Fish have only one way to touch things including potential food items, and that's with their mouths.

They eat sticks and plant materials too.

So yeah, they eat cased caddis. On purpose too.

TUNA wrote:

The version I tie has a Pheasnt Tail "case" with either a Black or Gold/Brass rib. I then use Chartruse Chenille for the body, sometimes leaving a tag end out that I either burn or paint Black with a Sharpie. If I don't use the tag end, I'll throw on a Black Tungsten bead with maybe a few wraps of Black of Grizzly Hackle. They work well throughout the year, but from mid February to May they work even better.

You happen to have pic?
Thanks

jdaddy: I will try to get some pics up tonight or tomorrow, I don't have use of a PC at home, so it will probably be tomorrow.

This is another of the ones I tie.

Attachments

• 4-30-07 049.jpg
    4-30-07 049.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 2
And the third one I tie.

Attachments

• stick caddis.jpg
    stick caddis.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 2

That lastone is slick.

Back