Looking for opinions on Steelhead/ Salmon rod

CLizow

CLizow

Hey all, I've been battling chrome in the tribs of Lake Erie for about 5 years now and the girlfriend wants to put down the spinning rod and give fly fishing a go. I was going to give her the ll bean 9' 8wt I've been using and upgrade my outfit.

I've heard good things about both Orvis and Cabelas rod/reel combos and was wondering if you could help me make a decision as to which outfit to purchase from your experiences with their products.

The options are the Orvis Clearwater 10' 8wt or the Cabelas LSi/Prestige 9'9" 8wt.

The Cabelas comes in at around $100 less, but not being familiar with their products, I don't know how "inferior" it would be next to the Clearwaterby Orvis.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated

Cheers,
Collin

I'm really out of the loop on the gear these days. Been using the same rods for 10 years or more now.

Couple things-

If your just going to use it in Erie- not gonna matter that much cause your basically just roll casting and nymphing. Do they have warranties? If not, I'd probably get a cheap road.

Have an Orvis 9 foot 8 weight and has a decent Orvis reel that I can use in saltwater. So I get decent mileage out of it.

If I was just getting a Erie specific rod I would get a 10 foot 7 weight- more reach for nymphing and longer rod to play the fish.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70537?feat=2136-GN2&page=streamlight-ultra-four-piece-fly-rod-outfits-7-9-wt&attrValue_0=Green&productId=1141887

Here is an LL Bean setup that would probably fall in between the two costs, and they have lifetime warranty. Can't comment on the performance though.

(When I went on their site a 10% off thing popped up too so you could save yourself 24 bucks.)

I have a 9' 7 wt Orvis Clearwater for steelies and I love it. I would highly recommend them also because there's a 25 year warranty so no worries.

Would any of those rods in turn make a decent smallie rod too? I'm kinda curious about this question as well and would love to find a rod that I could use for more then just salmon/steelhead. I have been looking at that Cabelas one for quite some time now just because of the price.

Just purchased a Redington Path outfit for my first trip to the Salmon River. It casts beautifully.

laurelrun wrote:
Just purchased a Redington Path outfit for my first trip to the Salmon River. It casts beautifully.

What length and weight?

+1 for the cheap route for steelhead / smallie rod. Got a Redington Pursuit on close out for $59. Its now called Redington Path. 9'6" in 7wt. Used it on SR and Susky. Just stick a little better reel on it than you get in the combo pack and you're good to go.

Cabelas LSI is a nice casting rod but I'd be worried about breakage / warranty.

My favorite rod for steelhead and smallies is a 10' 7wt.

A 9' or 9.5 7wt would also do the job.

If you are looking to do more salmon as well as light saltwater fishing, a 9' to 10' 8wt would fit the bill.

All rods as well as anglers/casters are not all the same, you really should cast before you buy, if possible. Ever notice how many newer rods end up in the Swap forum...lol.

Thank you for all of the input. From what I gather, cast that son' *****, try to get a good warranty, and don't break the bank.

I'll let you all know what I end of going with. I'll be taking my first trip to the Salmon river this year, so whatever I choose will be put to the test.

Just keep your eyes peeled for zombies !! I have information that there will be a zombie apocalypse up there soon!

afishinado wrote:
My favorite rod for steelhead and smallies is a 10' 7wt.

A 9' or 9.5 7wt would also do the job.

If you are looking to do more salmon as well as light saltwater fishing, a 9' to 10' 8wt would fit the bill.

All rods as well as anglers/casters are not all the same, you really should cast before you buy, if possible. Ever notice how many newer rods end up in the Swap forum...lol.

Thanks for that info!

I'm getting the itch

DSR Salmon River.
9/2/2016
yesterday a guide reported at 8:30 AM that he observed several salmon porpoising and jumping at the lower boundary of the DSR; at 6:40 AM this morning another guide, scouting for salmon, reported salmon moving through the middle section of the run - it was 59 degrees this morning, water temperature as of 5:50 AM was 66 degrees, CFS was raised to 335 yesterday, and will be raised gain to 750 at 10:00 PM today through Sunday

Back