Looking for a good read on tying soft hackles

• Thread starter mike_richardson
  • Start date
mike_richardson

mike_richardson

I was messing with soft hackles lately and realized I never really messed with them all that much. I need work on sizing the hackle and tying it in. I tried some simple caddis pupa with nymph head evolution beads and I believe they would catch fish but I believe they are way out of proportion. A few I have close but I think feather selection and tying practices will help them.

Does anyone have any good reading, or videos on soft hackle flies?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• caddis pupa.jpg
    caddis pupa.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 7
  • caddis pupa1.jpg
    caddis pupa1.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 4
What are you using for your soft hackle material?

I have been using partridge, grouse, some hen, and starling. One thing I did learn the hard way was to not buy a bag of soft hackle feathers. You will never find one that is the right size. Buy a skin or soft hackle patch as they are much easier to work with.

There are some really good youtube videos on how to tie in and wrap a soft hackle feather. I haven't found one that gives guidance on correctly sizing the hackle to the hook.

Any chance you can throw a solid background behind your flies for the pictures. Its tough to see whats going on with the color variations in the marble or granite background.

Check out Davie mcphail videos... can't go wrong

Dave Hughes wet flys. Great book and just a good read.

Gencon

read sylvester nemes

Wander around in here for awhile...

http://www.flymphforum.com/

Alternately, you could search on "Vernon Hidy, fly tying" or as suggested above, Nemes.

Tying and Fishing Soft Hackled Nymphs by Allen Mcgee is a great resource and specifically covers fur and feather selection, different hackling techniques, patterns, and fishing techniques. Wet Fly Tying and Fishing by Roger Fogg is a book to have if you're interested primarily in spiders and English style flies.

Back