Looking for a dry fly rod recommendation Sage LL T&T Winston Scott

F

Fenglass

Hey guys-gals... what would you consider to be the smoothest casting dry fly rod out there under $1000? Im considering an 8 1/2' 4/5 wt T & T, Scott, Winston, or Sage LL..? I need some feedback. Im going to buy the rod in the next 2 weeks or sooner.

Im looking for a medium to medium fast rod for dries and occasional nymphs on a dry/dropper or indicator.

thanks

Jesse

I mean LL is pretty sweet .

Go out and cast them and see which one you like best.

I have a couple Winstons. The BIIIX is a nice 8 1/2' 4wt if you can find one. They have been discontinued. The 9' 4wt Air I have is equally nice and just a bit faster, more of a progressive action starting soft-ish but providing enough power when asked. These rods will help with protecting lighter tippets and a strong enough for a quick and sure hookset. Neither of the Winstons are cannons and casts beyond 50' are a bit of work and require good timing. I fish the WB of the Delaware several times a year and have never felt I needed to cast further. Thas big water for me and I don't feel under gunned. If you are coming from a fast stick to Winston I might recommend the Air as it will still be softer than most newer rods but closer to what you have been throwing.

Larry Kenney glass 845. Or livingston traditional graphite in 8.5 4 or 5 weight.

I have a 590 Trout LL. I'd recommend casting one if you have the opportunity.

treat yourself to a fenwick FF79.

I'll try to "review" the 590 Trout LL, but I can't tell you how it will work for your casting style or your fishing.

I'd call the 590 medium fast, the 490 is medium. I could overpower the 490, and 486 easily. The 590 has "reserve power" if need be where the 490 and 486 were lacking that in my casting style. 60' casts are no problem, and the rod responds well to hauling. The 590 is extremely accurate for me and has a lot of tip flex to protect tippet. One thing that stood out to me is how well it rollcasts.

I thought big nymphs (size 6) and size "B" and "BB" split shot might be an issue but this rod casts them fine, not as good as my 590 One, but not bad enough to take the One out of the tube.

The 590 Trout LL would not be my choice for streamers, but Sage didn't design it for that.

No substitute for “test driving” before you buy! I remember purchasing my first quality rod back in the 90s, a Sage LL 9’ 4. Got lucky because I love it and I didn’t cast it first.

I’d also read the Yellowstone Angler shootout articles. Most of the staff, including George, weren’t thrilled with the new LL, claiming it wasn’t the same as the original. Other reviews praised it as the second coming of Christ himself. Go figure.

Mark

+1 to advice from BrookieChaser and zenriver to test cast as many rods as possible before buying one, especially when you are spending all that money for a rod you plan to keep for a long time.

Rods have a different feel, and handling them and at least casting them a bit will give you the best idea which one to choose.

Check out the Scott G series if you are going to test drive some rods.

*I have a St. Croix Legend Elite, 8'6" 4wt., unfished. If you are interested let me know

If the weather holds tomorrow, I will be in State College at the TCO shop and testing some rods. Im bringing my own reel and my own leaders to test out. Should be fun. Thanks for all of the responses.

Def take the time to cast them all. It doesn't matter what someone else's opinion of a rod is, it's whether you can do anything with it.

That being said, if you like a true medium action, see if Winston still offers the WT series and get the 8'6" 5wt "staff of Moses".

Back