Lookin to get into the bamboo game

P

Phish_On

I'm looking to get into the bamboo rod game. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for getting started in bamboo? I would like to get a good "entry" level bamboo rod. Try to not break the bank. Our are bamboo rods just something you should spend a small fortune on one time an call it a day? Our are there levels in which you can climb till you reach the summit of bamboo? TIA-Joel

Ummmm.....Hmmmmmmm.....My entry into bamboo cost $675. I bought a rod from Michigan bamboo rod maker Lew Parks. His rods are well-priced for quality bamboo, and as inexpensive as you could hope to get from an American maker. Used bamboo rods can be found for $150-$200, but rods in that range wouldn't offer any advantage over graphite. There are cheapo rods offered by the Zhu company on ebay for around $135-$175, but you'd have a hard time finding good reviews. A used Orvis with one tip might cost around $450-$550, and you might even get a second tip at that price. There are plenty of amateur bamboo rod builders in the U.S. right now, and they offer their rods for sale. While the big names are mostly gone (Granger has been licensed to one rod maker), Winston, Scott, Hardy, and Thomas&Thomas still make bamboo rods. They're VERY pricey, and the builders from Winston all left that company to form Sweetgrass Rods.

Rich K:

Great information. I had the same question. Thanks!!

you need to go here, all the info you will ever want to know.
http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/

A used Orvis bamboo rod is a good entry level rod. Buyer beware! Check for repairs, straightness, etc. I would suggest that you look at something 7' to 7 1/2' as your first rod. There is a weight difference between bamboo and graphite rods, and the difference becomes more noticeable in rods 8' or longer. A shorter rod will help you transition from graphite to bamboo.

Jack Mickiewicz makes rods under $500. I casted a 7'-9" rod based on a Payne taper early this year. Gotta have one. May be the sweetest bamboo rod I ever casted. If you want his phone number, pm me. he is located in Douglasville PA.

A final note: As with any rod, cast it before you buy.

I tried one of Jack's bamboo rods about 7 years ago. Jack is a great guy, and the two bamboo rods he had at the store were wrapped very nicely. The bamboo was impregnated, and the rods were a tad heavy. Weight isn't the huge issue with bamboo that it is with graphite, however, and you'll find that it takes very little effort to get one in motion (assuming it's a good rod). Impregnating the rod with finish makes the bamboo more impervious to water, but they should be allowed to dry thoroughly after each use.

I would have linked The Classic Rod forum, but didn't know the rules of this forum regarding such links. That site has a very busy classified forum, and the occassional bargain can be found.

I had Wyatt Dietrich at Dreamcatcher build me a second tip for one of my bamboo rods. I am very happy with the interaction and the rod tip he made. They have two lines of rods, the Dreamcatcher rods which are the Dietrich Brother tapers and the Sweetwater rods that are made to the late George Maurer specs. The shop is in Chambersburg and you may be able to contact them and cast some of their rods. Nice to support a local builder. If/when, I buy another bamboo rod, it will be made by them.

http://www.bamboorods.net/

The Feathered Hook in Coburn carries bamboo rods.
http://thefeatheredhook.com/

Click "vintage tackle" for used rods.
Click "rod builders" for new ones.

and in case you haven't read it yet, get John Gierach's book about bamboo.

yeah, read geirach's "fishing bamboo" then cast as many as possible.
I have been wanted to build one from someone's blank. hook&hackle has some blanks from a US maker. Also, "casting a spell" from george black is a good read.

Thanks guys! I have heard of dream catcher rods. A buddy of mine was talking to one of the builders an got his card. I think I'm going to contact them an set up a time when I can go cast a few to see what will work for me. Thanks again everyone for your input I really appreciate it.

The Somerset Show is coming up next month and there should be plenty of builders and at least a few dealers there. It's a nice opportunity to actually cast some rods and get an idea of what you might like.

Thanks Rolf, Ioght have to fit that I to my schedule, could be a good chance to see an feel some rods.

Back