Long though Extinct cutthroat alive and well??

Acristickid

Acristickid

Earlier this year I was able to achieve a mile stone I’ve been after for decades which was to catch all of the cutthroat trout in the world which is really America.

During this last year I had to retrace my steps from prior trips to catch a Cutthroat that was newly added as a different strain which was the Pecos strain of the Rio Grande Cutthroat in New Mexico. I also just to make sure that I completed the list and it’s entirety , fished for the Bear River Strain of the Bonneville Cutthroat just to end all doubts.

But alas here we are again with another species that’s been identified nobody is really come out and said but it sounds to me the yellowfin cutthroat has survived in a small stream a tribe to the Arkansas river.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hayden+creek+cutthroat&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

I’ll have to do some more checking to see when and if I can fish for this but it certainly entered my mind as a task to be completed.

The final list of natives I need to catch to have caught all the native trout and salmon in the United States. (It’s much easier to list since this list is small).

Lake trout
Supanee or blueback trout
Atlantic salmon
Pink salmon
Kern river bow
Little Kern River bow
Eagle lake bow
Now- “Hayden Creek Cutthroat”.

Darn, dang science getting too good. Someday I’ll Finish this.

Fascinating story! I was curious why some of the streams they are introducing the Hayden Creek Cutts to, were fishless. Any concerns about what makes them fishless, could cause a problem?

No, I think the state agencies and or us fish and wildlife are very careful in their placement. Typically there is a geologic reason , like a slide , flood, fire , earthquake , barrier that has cut that area off and just never had fish reach a stretch. Or similar.

Many cutthroats share these similarities, barrier lower in watershed. Which prevented other species to expatriate the natives. That has been the biggest threat.

I fished a stream in CA where Paiute cutthroat were relocated as a refuge stream outside that trouts native waters. It was a stream that had near vertical slabs of granite the stream cascaded over to prevent any fish from moving up. Streams below had rainbows. They are usually streams out of the way for better keeping.

The CA golden trout had a lava glow and altered the path of Golden Trout Creek aka Volcano Creek. Generally thought as a stream with most pure forms of the CA golden trout.

Back