Long front taper vs short front taper and bulky flies.

Nice painting. Sure Florida has some nice beaches, so does Haiti and every other 3rd world hellhole thats located in tropical and sub-tropical climate zones.

Nah-Orlando though is truly a taste of hades-why anyone wants to live there escapes me.
Truthfully -Florida is really what we all know it is-a place for oldsters to run out the string-not for young with a zest for life.
Tomorrow at 5am I will be out in my kayak catching dinner.not bad.

pete41 wrote:
Nah-Orlando though is truly a taste of hades-why anyone wants to live there escapes me.
Truthfully -Florida is really what we all know it is-a place for oldsters to run out the string-not for young with a zest for life.
Tomorrow at 5am I will be out in my kayak catching dinner.not bad.

I agree. A lot of people enjoy it but honestly I hate the sun and I hate sand. My parents are big golfers, so they needed a place to play during the winter. My dad worked for AT&T, when they shut down the King of Prussia facility he was offered the chance to transfer to Orlando. That's how he ended up there.

Y'all are on the wrong side, that's all. :-D

Boyer

I'm sure its a very lovely place for other people to visit.

Other than fishing, I have no interest in the state or its inhabitants. Since I'm cut off from a guided trip, and I have no boat, this is pretty much just a week of doing things I don't want to do with people I'm pretty sure aren't inclined to want to do it with me.

But that's enough of that topic.

Until I was closing in on 60-Fl. or any deep south place was the last place I wanted to be .I was a mountain man,pure and simple minded-however,trust me,your bones will tell you when its time to come on down.Until then enjoy the high country-invigorating in a way the lowlands will never be.

Don't think I've been to that part of the state. You're not to far from the everglades. Go there and maybe you'll see a python wrestling with an alligator. Or you could search for the elusive skunk ape.

Wear his rabbit hat and the gator might see him wrestling with a python-or vice versa.
I have stepped on a gator bass fishing a pond so watch out.

yes, the old man has told me they've already had a few removed from back there.

they also bought my children little rods, so they must not be too worried about it, so i'm not worried.

Gators can be annoying when you're pond fishing. My parents house is right on a golf course and they have a pond behind their house. The pond had a resident gator. Not particularly big, maybe only 5-6ft, I was sure I could take it if it came down to it. Regardless it used to follow my top water lures all the way up to the bank. Used to freak my mom out.

tangential question for pete or anyone: err, what hte hell should i take for my footwear?

i'm not buying anything, so my choices are: the usual wading boots, tennis shoes, hiking boots, "watershoes" or aquasocks or whatever they call those neoprene slippers.

assuming i get the ability to knock around somehere back in an estuary/bay/etc, or raid a canal or something, am i going to be able get by with a pair of canvas sneakers I don't mind if I saturate?

Fresh water ponds -hip boots or irrigating boots-seen to many water moccasins -if you are going to be in tall grass or wading the edges.I may be paranoid there-never heard off anyone being bitten.
Salt water-high top wading shoes as rays and oyster shell are numerous.Shuffle your feet and rays shouldn't be too much of a threat-the oysters can really cut you.I like the quick dry long legged pants as sharks[kidding] are your only worry but many like to wade bare legged-You can get flats boots for forty dollars -they are good.
Be aware of the mud sink holes we warned you about-they are dangerous-easy to avoid -don't walk into mud-lol

I leave tomorrow night. There's no shopping to be done.

Sounds like "take the wading boots if there's room, otherwise filth up your sneaks" is the plan.

I would've been 100% shoes except for snake bite fears.

they will work-have fun-good time to be here-fishing just about peak
any local tackle shop should have the boots-they are rubber so you won't ruin leather-rinse your tackle with fresh water and be careful not to let the reel get in the salt water-even wading place to place keep that reel out of the water-ruin them overnight-
Didn't mean to sound preachy about keeping the reel out of the water but when you wade it can happen-strip it and clean if it does[been there,done that].

Shooting line you need to double haul. I fish hair bugs with a 9wt bass bug taper with the first 3ft cut off on a 8wt rod. You can't carry alot of line in the air because of the short head length. But you can bomb out a cast!! Distance with false casting requires a line with a long head. Like SA Distance, Rio Gold, or most tropical lines.

Also when distance casting the 10 and 2 o'clock cast doesn't work when double hauling. It's more like 10and 3.

pfft, there was no distance casting on the beach. the damned snook are 2' from the water's edge and i never cast more than 30' with the exception of passing tarpon.

of course, i never caught any so take what i say with a grain of salt.

after getitng into it, though, like trout fishing, people make it needlessly complex. keep it simple, and just practice. with each time i took out there, i got markedly better, ending with fish turning to the fly repeatedly. i think if i had one more chance, i would've had it down.

basically, i started standing 40' feet offshore and just waving a stick to understanding you stalk the last 2' of water's edge from 15' up the shore. that and they seemed to be more prevelant around people, and during the middle of the day rather than morning.

honestly, it took me about 12 hours of fishing time to figure it all out. i regret not going to the beach on day one of the trip.

Back