Local Rod Repair - Montgomery County Area

F

FlyLikeTheFish

Hi All,

New to the site so if this is in the wrong place Mods feel free to let me know.

I have a rod with a broken snake guide on the upper (2 piece) section of the rod. I went to my local TCO in Brywn Mawr and they couldn't recommend/know of anyone that could do a repair outside a few hours drive. Hoping someone on here may know or point me in a good direction.

Some additional detail: older inherited rod made by a now defunct West Chester rod company. This isn't something that can/will be covered under a warranty.

Thanks

Hi All,

I have a rod with a broken snake guide on the upper (2 piece) section of the rod. I went to my local TCO in Brywn Mawr and they couldn't recommend/know of anyone that could do a repair outside a few hours drive...
That doesn't surprise me, as they'd probably prefer you buy a replacement from them. ;)

I'm guessing a forum member can either help you directly, or suggest someone who can. Good luck, and welcome to PAFF.

Hi All,

I have a rod with a broken snake guide on the upper (2 piece) section of the rod. I went to my local TCO in Brywn Mawr and they couldn't recommend/know of anyone that could do a repair outside a few hours drive. Hoping someone on here may know or point me in a good direction.

Some additional detail: older inherited rod made by a now defunct West Chester rod company. This isn't something that can/will be covered under a warranty.

Thanks

If you get nowhere, give Bob Selb a call at the Classic Fly Fisherman in Lansdale.

He may be able to recommend someone in Montco or Bucks.

If he can't help call Versitex in Spring City, Chester County. They sell rod building supplies and must know someone close.

Good luck!

Hey, I am in Flourtown too! I would go the traditional bait and tackle shop route in your case. Have your tried Sport Fishing Outlet in East Norriton? Or Dave's in Doylestown? Even Brinkman's in the Northeast. If they service reels, for example, they may have dudes on speed dial that repair blanks or make custom rods who might take a quick gig. Or put a call out to anyone here who builds their own rods too.

Hi All,

Thanks
You could always do it yourself. It is surprisingly easier than you think and with only one snake broken, parts and time would be cheap and fast.

Plenty of how to videos online

I’ve built my own took a couple apart and redid. Not very hard to do. It’s a pain to remove the old one cause you don’t want to cut into the rod. So if you’re going to do it. Get a very sharp blade and cut the top of the foot of the guide. Heat a little to soften the epoxy. Use tape to protect your rod.
The new guide just aligned straight hold down with a small strip of tape. Use size A thread and wrap. Watch some vids to show you how to tie your tag ends. Then pretty much glue with a flex epoxy.

I’ve built my own took a couple apart and redid. Not very hard to do. It’s a pain to remove the old one cause you don’t want to cut into the rod. So if you’re going to do it. Get a very sharp blade and cut the top of the foot of the guide. Heat a little to soften the epoxy. Use tape to protect your rod.
The new guide just aligned straight hold down with a small strip of tape. Use size A thread and wrap. Watch some vids to show you how to tie your tag ends. Then pretty much glue with a flex epoxy.
This is why I love spar varnish

Hey, I am in Flourtown too! I would go the traditional bait and tackle shop route in your case. Have your tried Sport Fishing Outlet in East Norriton? Or Dave's in Doylestown? Even Brinkman's in the Northeast. If they service reels, for example, they may have dudes on speed dial that repair blanks or make custom rods who might take a quick gig. Or put a call out to anyone here who builds their own rods too.
I just moved to the area about a year ago and am really, really enjoying it so far! The trails through Fort Washington/Militia Hill are very nice, especially the parts that run along the Wissahickon. Wish it offered more year-round fishing opportunities though!

The latest I've ever fished the Wissahickon was in late October and I had to dredge the deeper pools without much luck. I don't usually start fishing it before the middle of May when most of the bait and lure folks have given up, figuring all the trout have been caught. The smallies and panfish start getting real active then. Never fished the Fort Washington area though.
As far as rod repair goes. I don't think the Sport Fishing Outlet has much in the way of fly fishing stuff. Dave's does have an Orvis shop attached to it. Don't know if either of them do rod repair. Brinkman's might.
As already mentioned it's relatively easy to replace a single guide. You just need to find a place to pick up the snake guide of the correct size.

I just moved to the area about a year ago and am really, really enjoying it so far! The trails through Fort Washington/Militia Hill are very nice, especially the parts that run along the Wissahickon. Wish it offered more year-round fishing opportunities though!
Hit me up with a PM in the spring if you'd like.

Back