LL Bean Nippers - Wow, what a price point!

krayfish2 wrote:
"...made them out of a rare metal like unobtantanium..."

That stuff is minded from a quarry close to Raush Creek!!! :-D

Regarding bug proof clothing. It works, especially on ticks, less so on mosquitoes. All it is is clothing sprayed with permethrin. You can buy the spray anywhere and do it yourself on whatever clothes you wish for less than the markup.

Keep it away from cats.

Permethrin lasts 10ish washings. Goes on clothes, not skin. Must dry before use. Kills ticks dead on contact. Better than Deet for ticks. It's ok at repelling mosquitoes but not as good as Deet.

For places with some mosquitoes I like a bug repellent wide brimmed hat. Does a decent good of repelling mosquitoes from my face and I don't need to put bug spray on my hair or face. Not for swarms of bugs, but makes those evenings with a few biting critters more enjoyable IMHO.

Luxury goods are luxury goods. Part of the appeal is how much you pay and that no one else can afford them. Years ago at the Fly Show I watched a guy looking over an extremely expensive bamboo rod with a beautiful reel seat machined from an old Damascus shot gun barrel and expertly engraved with mayflies. His wife was on his case and complained "do you really need it?" His reply was "This is my jewelry" and she smiled and replied "I get it now, go buy it".

The nippers I saw in my Bean catalog were "only" $9.99, which is only about 9X what you'd pay for fingernail clippers at a Dollar Store. I cannot find those for $39.99 in my catalog.

I have a pair of hemostats with scissor blades in the lower part of the jaws. They could not have cost more than 10 bucks for me to own them. Never once did I think "I need a better tool to cut my tippet."

>>The nippers I saw in my Bean catalog were "only" $9.99, which is only about 9X what you'd pay for fingernail clippers at a Dollar Store. I cannot find those for $39.99 in my catalog.>>

Rich: Look on the facing page. They gave the things a full page of their own. I also missed seeing them at first because of this layout.
Initially, I thought I had just fallen asleep and that was why I hadn't seen them. This is happening more and more lately...

But eventually I learned it was the cleverly deceptive layout that threw me off....:)

They will take a "nip" out of your paycheck if you really need something that expensive.

Yeti just introduced the Tundra 350 cooler, all yours for only $1.299.00.

pro4mance wrote:

Better keep my PBR cold for a week at that price. Better option might be a gasoline generator and small fridge.

McSneek wrote:
pro4mance wrote:

Better keep my PBR cold for a week at that price. Better option might be a gasoline generator and small fridge.

hell, for that price I'd want it full of beer and able to replenish itself.

the Abel stuff is ridiculous, but as Kray said, noobs and the wealthy will buy em. same as $40 buffs, which can be bought for under $5.

My wife bought me the Abel nippers for my birthday. My local fly shop suggested them to her. They are definitely a quality piece. She had no idea what the price was until she got home and looked at the receipt. She said if I don't want them she will return them and I can get something else. As they say it's the thought that counts so I'll keep them. She's a keeper for sure.

Yep, Bob, I went and found them. I don't even think I'd recognize them as clippers. Geez!

LMAO. Those pliers sold well enough that they are on backorder?

Attachments

• pliers.JPG
    pliers.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 4
krayfish2 wrote:
LMAO. Those pliers sold well enough that they are on backorder?

At that price, I would have those things double-chained to my body perhaps permanently out of fear of dropping them in the water the first time I broke them out. Bet they do a sweet job though of crushing the barb on a #18 TMC 100.

McSneek, if you bought those pliers, you could fit in the Yeti 350 with all those chains on. The Yeti release said it could "Fit a body"

$50 for nippers, $200 for a cane fishing pole (tenkara), man, people can market ANYTHING to fly fishermen and they'll pay!

Im chewing on bubble gum and it would make a good strike indicator. Fully adjustable and reusable. It can be yours, shipped tomorrow for just $500bucks.

Those pliers are "backorderable" meaning they do not keep a supply of them in stock, but will "order" them for anyone stupid enough to buy them.

Back