LJRA sulfur nymphs

J

JLB

Does anyone happen to have a picture of the dark and light sulfur nymphs? The photo on the website for the dark is kinda blurry and there‘s no pic of the light. Can’t find any online. Or if someone is familiar with the dark color are one of these close? Thanks.
IMG 1084

I tie my dark sulphur nymphs based on Dan Shield’s pattern. His is a blend of 60% dyed brown Australian opossum( I’ve been using Hare Tron Dubbin dark brown #16) and 40% orange sparkle yarn. I use Aunt Lydia’s orange sparkle yarn which I cut up in tiny pieces and mix by hand with the brown dubbing. I’ve used this with great success on Spring Creek and the Little J. The darker brown on the left would be good for the dark nymph. The lighter nymph, based on a, I think, a George Harvey pattern, is more of a tan like the Hare Tron Dubbin or a tan dyed rabbit or Hares Ear plus #7.

Reactions: JLB
The LJRA pattern is FFP version, maybe Dan's, I thought is was Steve's. Anyway. I preferred the 50-50% percentage since the brown is so penetrant in the mix.

you can go even lighter if use use ginger haretron in place of the opossum.

IMO the ball on the left is closer the color of a light sulphur nymph. Maybe mixing both would be a perfect, light caramel colored nymphs

Reactions: JLB
I'll let Dr J speak but that looks like an old FFP hard copy catalog. They listed patterns in it. I still have a copy of the last anniversary issue but that did not have the reference to the origins.

That is a catalogue from Fly Fishers Paradise in State College which they sent out every year. That one is the 2013 issue. I got them for years plus always stopped into the shop when I was fishing in the State College area. They stopped sending them out a couple years ago. I kept a lot of them as they would have fly recipes and other tips in the margins and as a materials guide( I tie my own flies). I bought a lot of things there over the years.

That is a catalogue from Fly Fishers Paradise in State College which they sent out every year. That one is the 2013 issue. I got them for years plus always stopped into the shop when I was fishing in the State College area. They stopped sending them out a couple years ago. I kept a lot of them as they would have fly recipes and other tips in the margins and as a materials guide( I tie my own flies). I bought a lot of things there over the years.
That’s pretty cool stuff, right there!

Another great publication was Mid Atlantic Fishing Guide. They were free at shops like Fly Fishers Paradise. Great articles by the icons of fly fishing. There were fly patterns in that that I’ve used for years with great success. I think they came out monthly. I have them going back to 1992.

since there was some interest

Attachments

• IMG_2197.jpeg
    IMG_2197.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2198.jpeg
    IMG_2198.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 40
since there was some interest
Thank you! I can't say I was a diehard customer, but I have shopped in both the store and online at FFP often over the years and never knew of this catalog.

Incidentally, how is the store now that it changed hands? I haven't been there in a couple years or so.

its changed a bit. rotation of some items. More hackle then before, but less wire options. they have the sparkle yarn, which I haven't seen elsewhere. You can see it online. They do a pretty good job updating what's available. It's my first stop for tying supplies.

Back