LJRA clean up sat Mar 28th

nymphingmaniac

nymphingmaniac

The Little Juniata River Association will hold its 10th annual river bank clean-up on Saturday, March 28th.

http://www.littlejuniata.org

reminder: next weekend. Water should be in great shape and the clean up will be done by the time fishing picks up

Got any details about this. Where and what time? I would like to help of I can get away from the house.

Show up at 9:00 AM in the church parking lot at Spruce Creek. I went once a few years ago. There were plenty of people gathered and I went up to someone who looked like he knew what was going on and I told him I was there to help and he set me up with bags and instructions. Take a pal so you can work together, though even if alone, they will get you involved.

We spent most of our time cleaning the access roads of discarded litter, which was palpable, and a little more time going down the trails and slopes. It wasn't that hard and we were finished with our assigned beat before noon and after dropping our last trash bags off and seeing if anything more was needed, were released to a wonderful day of fishing.

As I recall, when you got a bag full, you just set it next to the road. They had roving trucks collecting the bags. Even if you are not physically able to collect the trash, they may have a job for you if you have a pickup that can collect bags.

I recall lugging a toilet up a steep bank with you. Hee hee, good times indeed.

In other years, I have found adult DVDs , needles and a razor sharp arrow. Not to mention bags of rotting deer that pulled apart upon trying to lift them up only to have the contents spill up. Yuck.

Game time decision for me.

That was the time I went, AKid. I took poetic license with the 9:00 AM gathering. I think it was you who first approached the guy with the clipboard. The other highlight of the trip was meeting LJ.

I'll be heading up Sat AM. I have noticed the years I attend the clean up, I get better dry fly fishing that Spring. YMMV!

And of course it will be 30 degrees out that day.

Just saw this, too late i know. But for future reference.
What Jack wrote is correct, but be there before 9AM.
People are encouraged not to handle dead animals due to the remote chance of disease (very, very remote)- liability reasons.
people make their own call on that.
lunch at the church is very good.

One more thing, the last 2 years a group floats down through the Gorge area (conditions permitting) on kayaks and a Jon boat pulling trash out of remote areas.
This same group conducts a float in the fall. People on the board should know they are NOT fisherman, but a group of boaters who love the river and float it regularly.
food for thought. Food also for the individual who wrote a unkind editorial about boaters on the J in the tyrone daily herald.

Back